MikroTik App

nzjimmy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

hAP AC2 Wifi fault

Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:26 am

Hi everyone,

On of my customers complained of poor wifi performance - on checking their router i'm watching their device's (iPhone 12) rssi switching from -64 to -88 over and over, and sometimes dropping altogether. They are not moving their device while this is happening.

They said it happens on all devices so i'm thinking it's a fault with wifi radio or possibly internal antenna being damaged with a drop or something, but this is doubtful. I have upgraded OS and firmware with no change seen. I run 20mhz channels and put in 0 for antenna dbi to get 30dbm output power on 2.4.

The other strange thing is when I do a freq scan using snooper I see no other networks. MY wisp is out in the country but the neighbours are close enough for their horrible repeaters to show up in previous scans.

Have any of you seen this behaviour with hAP AC2?

Thanks

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP AC2 Wifi fault

Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:24 pm

30dbm output power on 2.4.
Say what...? If this is really what you want to accomplish...might be time to hire someone with Wifi knowledge.
Nowadays, you want:
  • all clients on 5GHz (unless incapable)
  • turn transmission power as low as possible (to get a decent coverage)
  • configure correct antenna gain
  • as much access points as necessary
Could you please share the configuration...I have te feeling that there might be some more improvements...

nzjimmy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:34 am

Lol you sound like a nob head. Ive been building wifi networks for 10 years - this is not a network, its one router in a small house in the country. This is an old lady with once device - an iPhone12.

I turn it up full as she likes to facetime her friends from the garden, and only 2.4 up full knacker reaches there, and it works fine. 5.8 does not reach.

If I was building a wifi network for her I would put many APs and turn down and use 5.8, but for this application 2.4 up full with one AP (router) works well and has for 2 years. She does not want or need more than one AP.

Get in the sea erlinden, you're an egg

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:16 am

"i'm watching their device's (iPhone 12) rssi switching from -64 to -88 over and over"
Just asking: is it seen at the AP or is the RSSI really seen at the iPhone12? Normally the transmission "client to AP" is the weakest link. If that one does not get through the AP->client will not work either.
The Mikrotik "Registration" shows the received signal strength from the client. If the client has "power save" mode enabled, then that dropping of the signal strength is there all the time (reviving every 30 seconds or when there is traffic)

Coverage is mostly limited by the transmit power of the client (and can be increased with a larger gain antenna at the AP, as that increases the received signal sensitivity)
Klembord-20.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:06 am

...30dbm output power on 2.4...
...Lol (erlinden) you sound like a nob head...
...Ive been building wifi networks for 10 years..
...get in the sea erlinden, you're an egg...
Clearly you are worth nothing, it is idiots like you who ruin the wifi.
How dare you offend erlinden?
You are just offensive and rude

@erlinden leave alone this ....

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:29 pm

erlinden is entirely correct. Running a residential AP at 30dBm TX power is downright stupid and no wonder people think Wi-Fi sucks when operators do this. You want balanced TX/RX powers to avoid problem shown above, ideally TX power as low as possible to avoid co-interference and encourage client roaming, multiple APs for coverage and ideally no 2.4 GHz.

You want a single AP sitting in someone's house to do video calls out in the garden!? Dream on. Wi-Fi isn't 4G. Get an outdoor AP if you want coverage outdoors.