Community discussions

MikroTik App

jgauthier
just joined
Topic Author

Trying to add a wireless VLAN (CAPsMAN)

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:43 pm

I'm trying to add a VLAN to segregate an SSID. I thought it would be pretty straight forward, and I'v done plenty of work with VLANs in the past (but not router OS), But I can't seem to get it to "work".

Steps I've taken:
Added a VLAN interface (named it alexa) and attached it to the bridge. (The bridge is basically ether2-ether5, local LAN traffic)
 /interface vlan print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
 #   NAME                                                                              MTU ARP             VLAN-ID INTERFACE                                                                          
 0 R alexa                                                                            1500 enabled              90 bridge    

Assigned an IP address to the VLAN:
 /ip address print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 #   ADDRESS            NETWORK         INTERFACE                                                                                                                                                     
 0   ;;; defconf
     192.168.80.1/24    192.168.80.0    bridge                                                                                                                                                        
 2   192.168.90.1/32    192.168.90.1    alexa    
Added a DHCP pool for the VLAN:

/ip pool print
 # NAME                                                                                                                                                                RANGES                         
 0 default-dhcp                                                                                                                                                        192.168.80.50-192.168.80.254   
 1 alex_pool                                                                                                                                                           192.168.90.50-192.168.90.254 
The assigned IP address, 192.168.90.1, is up and active.
Added a datapath in CAPsMAN:

/caps-man datapath print
 0 name="datapath1" bridge=bridge local-forwarding=no 
 1 name="alexa_datapath" bridge=bridge local-forwarding=no vlan-mode=use-tag vlan-id=90 
Then I added a new configuration in CAPsMAN and assigned it to the datapath.
(Omitted config)

The SSID shows up, and I can connect to it. However, no IP address is assigned from DHCP. So, I must be missing a configuration, or an option somewhere.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Trying to add a wireless VLAN (CAPsMAN)

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 pm

The SSID shows up, and I can connect to it. However, no IP address is assigned from DHCP. So, I must be missing a configuration, or an option somewhere.
You don't only need an ip pool - you also need a DHCP server and DHCP network for DHCP to work. Under IP->DHCP server, there is a DHCP Setup button that is basically a wizard that can create the server, the network, and the pool in one fell swoop - that is the easiest way to set up DHCP.

jgauthier
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Trying to add a wireless VLAN (CAPsMAN)

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:52 pm

Great! I knew I missed something. That definitely got me an IP address! Now I will see if there are networking issues/firewall masq things I need to do.
Thanks for the close eye.