Community discussions

MikroTik App

webpterodactyl
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP & VLAN

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been working with Mikrotik devices for 10+ years and this forum has helped me so much. It’s my first time posting here today.

I’m completely stumped for the first time in forever, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Config:
routerOS 6.48.3 on a RB750gr3
I created a VLAN interface on eth2 with a vlan id of 50, called eth2vlan50.
Created a static IP of 192.168.50.1 on eth2vlan50.
Created a dhcp server on eth2vlan50.
Eth2 is connected to a managed switch port 45. In the switch config, all ports are untagged vlan id 10,15 & 50. Vlan 10 & 15 works fine using a fortigate device as dhcp server, but it’s irrelevant for this discussion. Essentially all switch ports are “trunk” ports, carrying all VLANs to all ports, and VLANs are identified on access points and access ports exist on other switches.

I have not been able to get the DHCP server to work on eth2vlan50. After reading countless topics on here and elsewhere, I understand that rOS can handle VLANs in 3 ways: Virtual Interface (Software based - and what I'm using), via Switch or via Bridge. I don't believe from what I've read that I need to overcomplicate this by using switch or bridge vlan settings.

The ways I'm testing the DHCP server:
1. We have EnGenius access points that tag VLAN 50 when someone connects to a specific SSID. Connecting to this SSID does not give me an IP.
2. I set up a second vlan interface on eth5, plugged eth5 into another port on the switch, and added a dhcp client to this new vlan interface. No IP received. What's interesting though, is that if I set this interface to vlan 10, I get an IP immediately from Fortigate. So to me this isolates the issue to the way I have DHCP and VLAN configured on eth2.

Any advice would be much appreciated!