MikroTik App

dnordenberg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Loop protect enhancement request

Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:16 am

Hi!
Would it be possible to enhance the loop protect feature to be able to use it as a ring topology redundancy function? Today sending interval is 5s at lowest, way to high to make a ring break/connect almost "seamless". It would be great if this setting could be set to 0 meaning it will send a new loop protect packet as soon as the previous one made it back.
And there would probably need to be a timeout in milliseconds to wait before triggering a break (and starts forward on both ports).
Second, the disable time would also need to be disabled completely. 0 now means "disable indefinitely" which is the opposite needed here as a loop (ring) would be more like the normal state.

CPU usage should not be a issue as I'm thinking the device would probably be dedicated for this ring redundancy role anyway if used as such.

These kinds of "basic" rings is often used in industrial systems for redundancy. Advantages over *STP is of course fail over speed in ms rather than seconds making a ring break almost unnoticeable for the time critical control systems. *STP is also not implemented in all industrial dual port devices. There are already several proprietary ways of doing this on other brands, for example hirschmann HiPER ring which works similar to loop protect by sending a control packet around in the ring.

Kind regards
David

issme
just joined

Re: Loop protect enhancement request

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:49 pm

Similar to this line of thought, ITU-T G.8032 (Ethernet Ring Protection Switching) support would be nice. Provides sub-50ms failover for stretched L2 ring topologies, such as some Carrier Ethernet or industrial deployments. Very much doubt this would be added as a feature, but wishes are free.

dnordenberg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:15 am

Yes, G.8032 would be similar but as far as I can understand, all ring member switches needs to support it which is not the case when building a ring of all kinds of different industrial devices. Maybe in a distant future but as of today I have not seen a single industrial device supporting it so I'm not putting any hopes on it :(

damadmai
just joined

Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:45 pm

I know of one power utility company which would switch to MikroTik Switches if they would support G.8032/Y.1344 Ethernet ring protection switching.
Unfortunately the absence of that function is currently a deal breaker.