Community discussions

MikroTik App

akarpas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Then would you use arp, proxy-arp and local-proxy-arp

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:05 pm

Then would you use arp, proxy-arp and local-proxy-arp. Please don refer me to Mikrotik pages, give me a real-world scenario, thank you in advance.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Then would you use arp, proxy-arp and local-proxy-arp

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:13 pm

Real -world scenario:
If you can't distingush the functions, and you do not have any desire to understand, leave the default values.
Because if you change them, without any form of knowledge of what you doing, you only risk making a mess.

akarpas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:22 pm

Real -world scenario:
If you can't distingush the functions, and you do not have any desire to understand, leave the default values.
Because if you change them, without any form of knowledge of what you doing, you only risk making a mess.
This is very rude answer, I have went via Mikrotik wiki pages and gone through the theory. And I have overall understanding were I use these settings, but I wanted answers from more experiences people. Those used to change these setting to get one or other scenario working, this is another way of learning, experimenting, messing as you said to master the things!!!!!

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:28 pm

Ok, (pleae not quote unnecessary)
you have perfectly reason, and I'm rude, sorry, please forgive me, I do not want offend you, but try to understand than you just now have write the rest of the truth....

afuchs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:57 pm

Hello.

First point, I use bridges to represent the networks (management , hotspot, etc.) on the devices.
ARP enable is my default setting.
If I set up a VPN (e.g. SSTP) I change the setting of the bridge of the target network to proxy-arp.
Why? Because the VPN-client get a IP-address of the same Network and local traffic is layer2.