Community discussions

MikroTik App

sin3vil
Topic Author

Resetting a "branded" board

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:21 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to reset a branded board so "platform" etc are returned back to default values, i.e. Mikrotik?

Is there a Mikrotik "branded" dpk available?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Resetting a "branded" board

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:21 pm

No, but Netinstall should restore it

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:55 pm

There are five type of "branded board" you can have:

Not-Internationaal-Versions, physically locked on coyntry like USA, Thailand, etc. and you can not do anything about that.
Branded version because the ISP do not sell the device, maintain the control over all, and if you have one without authorization, it's been stolen.
Branded with anoter logo because the seller want say "It's my hardware", but is just an id!ot.
Branded with some locked settings to comply with some regulatory domain, but all is by software.
Branded just for advertising the vendor brand.

For first case, is hardware, nothing to do,
For second case, if it was stolen, I hope that the thief dies in atrocious suffering.
For third and other cases, with netinstall the product can be restored to factory settings.

Guscht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:47 am

I asked MT the same question, their answer was as well "do a netinstall".

But I think, you could create a "Mikrotik.dpk" too. All you need is their Logo, thier ASCII-Logo, thier URL and their manual URL...
Still wondering, why they do not have a "default-option" for the branding-package.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:38 am

You can create your own branding package in your mikrotik.com/client account. With default style or other values.

sin3vil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:19 pm

Hello guys, thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately this was an RMA unit that is now used for testing in our lab, but was already branded with our dpk. Due to covid measures, I'm working remotely and there's no one at the office to do a net install. Was looking for a solution that could be applied remotely.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:33 pm

How you can access the device remotely?

sak10peter
just joined

Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:40 pm

If you are trying to remove branding by performing NetInstall with ROS 7.x and above, you’ll fail. Mikrotik implemented brand lock “feature” that will ensure that once branded device stays branded (even after NetInstall).

What you have to do is to NetInstall with ROS version 6 (I did it with 6.48). This installation will remove any branding packages installed on router.

Then optionally, you can NetInstall ROS v7 or whatever, important is that device stays unbranded.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:12 am

Mikrotik implemented brand lock “feature”

I suspect from the above posts that you haven't uploaded a replacement default branding package, which leaves the prior one in place. While I do believe your report that netinstalling back to 6 first will get rid of the old branding, I also believe that it's a heavy-handed solution.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:46 am

Mikrotik implemented brand lock “feature”
I suspect from the above posts that you haven't uploaded a replacement default branding package
I'm not sure what you mean by the "default branding package" – that's not something I've seen.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:52 am

I refer to post #5.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:51 am

The information written is wrong, and instead of deleting that post, the moderator deleted mine.
Truly brilliant, congratulations to the new moderators...

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:13 pm

Yeah I don't the story is as simple. I think the most recent comment is correct: you need to use V6 netinstall first if you want it truly removed.

You can replace a branding package, but there is not "reset to [branding] defaults". And, AFAIK, if something like defconf was replaced in original, it remains if an updated branding package contained no file.

itmethod

Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:57 pm

I have confirmed this works upload a branding file with nothing in it. will do it even on 7.10 Then Factory reset it. then the unit will be Mikrotik's Branding and Mikrotiks Factory default this is the only way to revert it. I'm not posting my reset file because I feel it would be against TOS also I wouldn't want someone to steal someone elses equipment and be able to remove branding without any kind of logs.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:00 pm

I haven't tested it but v7.12beta has a RN that says:

viewtopic.php?t=198723:
*) netinstall - added option to discard branding package;

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:06 pm

officially there is only netinstall, but in the event downgrading to 6.45.8 is possible, I've found that almost always does the trick.

When testing various upgrade paths and upgrade scripts it's often required for us to remove a "test" branding config and revert back to an older version, I've found going back to 6.45 is often much faster and easier to accomplish than dealing with netinstall. Once on 6.45 then the process for me is usually upgrading back to 6.48 and reapply the vintage branding package that went with that, and then perform a reset-configuration. At that point I then have a v6.48 router with my custom config with no trace of the previous branding package, and I was able to do it without touching the device (because my default scripts ensure it boots with the necessary config for our situation after a reset). Recently I did this to debug some issues as we prepared to upgrade from 7.7 to 7.10.2, and I rolled back to 6.45 between each test as a way to reset and clear out the new configs we were testing.