Community discussions

MikroTik App

derdeagle
just joined
Topic Author

Redundant network - what options does one have

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:56 pm

Until now I had two routers (RB3011UiAS-RM) and one switch (CRS326-24G-2S+RM) In my home-setup to achieve at least a bit of redundancy and of course to familiarize with the topic and networking. I used VRRP and connected one cable from each router to the same bridge on the switch.

Now I have two routers (RB3011UiAS-RM) and two switches (CRS326-24G-2S+RM).
What are the possible ways to achieve more redundancy for the devices which have at least two network interfaces like servers and storages?

I thought about the following layout but I am not sure if it makes sense and I think there might be a better way.
network-layout.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Redundant network - what options does one have

Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:03 pm

Is tremendous excessive for a home setup, is used more power to failover than regular traffic.

And if WAN go down, no failover?

Have you thought about what happens in the event of roditors, kids, pets, lightning, fires, floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, riots, solar wind, etc.?

derdeagle
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:38 pm

It is, without a single doubt, over-engineered. As I stated I want to learn about it and it is kind of my hobby so I don't waste any thoughts about "Do I really need it?". I need it because I want it.
Of course I do have single point of failures here like my WAN uplink.
With a HA concept I at least have in my head I can mitigate the effects of applying updates on my network equipment.

Do you have any idea on to how to achieve this?

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:57 pm

CRS switches have no concepts of stacking, VSS/virtual-stacking or some for of multi-chassis anything.
In the real world, your servers/blades/chassis will be connected simply onto a stack/pair of devices with minimum 2 links of 10G / 40G / 100G and often in a "Portchannel" config. Done.
Mikrotik lacks just about any of these features

Without such features you are stuck toying around with spanning-tree etc when multiple L2-links are involved and let them switchover when 1 of the switches goes dead.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:11 am

With a HA concept I at least have in my head I can mitigate the effects of applying updates on my network equipment.

Do you have any idea on to how to achieve this?
Yesssss, do not update anything. If it work, why update?®

On real thing, put passive optics between WAN and Server, done.
Till you have one single point of failure (WAN) can't be better.
You never need to "upgrade" fiber components. Really.

But, back to your schema, MPLS/OSPF is the solution.