Community discussions

MikroTik App

Wombatman
just joined
Topic Author

1 Gbit/s with active mangle rules and queues?

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:58 pm

Hello,

I recently have been trying to setup some mangle rules and a queue tree to have some basic QoS with DSCP prioritization. However I ended up experiencing only half of the speed that I have with fasttrack. So instead of 1000 Mbit/s I only got something like 500 Mbits/s.

My device is a hAP ac³ LTE6 kit.

Now my question is, is it possible to get the full 1 Gbit/s downstream speed with a configuration that includes mangle rules + queues and if so, how would I do that?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Edit: I was just thinking, maybe, is it possible to have fasttrack enabled for established connections to keep the downstream speed and additionally set up some mangle rules and queues only for prioritizing upstream packets?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 1 Gbit/s with active mangle rules and queues?

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:58 pm

You just have to exclude connections which need to be mangled or queued from being fasttracking. This can be achieved either by
  1. changing the general "fasttrack all" firewall filter rule so that it excludes wanted connections
  2. by creating specific accept rules for wanted connections and placing those rules above the "fasttrack all" rule

If connections that need to be mangled or queued don't have much in common it is easier to go with option b).

I don't think it is possible to have fasttrack active only for single direction.

Wombatman
just joined
Topic Author

Re: 1 Gbit/s with active mangle rules and queues?

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:13 am

Thanks for the reply. I will think about that and experiment with it next weekend when I have some time.

Basically my idea was to mark connections and packets according to their priority and to do this, set this priority per new-priority mangle rule from-dscp-high-3-bits before. This results in eight different types of marked connections/packets. Each of those eight gets its own queue and the eight queues are prioritized accordingly.