Community discussions

MikroTik App

aroundi
just joined
Topic Author

Simple Queues for Prioritization

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:52 am

Hello,

I am looking for some advice/validation on setting up some simple queues to prioritize traffic in and out of my hAP ac2. I want to be sure I'm not missing anything.

I have a working network with two /24 subnets, Internal and Guest. Internal is on a bridge and includes the ethernet ports and a wifi wlan dual-band with common SSID and pw. Guest is a wifi vlan, also dual-band.

My internet access is from a fixed wireless provider that is advertised as 100 Mbps symmetrical but fluctuates a lot and doesn't seem to get anywhere near that.

To prioritize traffic should bandwidth drop off significantly I have set up two simple queues:
/queue simple
add name="Internal Queue" priority=4/4 queue=default/default target=10.1.10.0/24
add name="Guest Queue" priority=6/6 queue=pcq-upload-default/pcq-download-default target=10.10.10.0/24

Am I correct in believing that these queues will ensure that devices on the Internal subnet will receive all the bandwidth they may require before what is left will be evenly distributed on the Guest network?

Do I possibly need to set a CIR (Committed Information Rate) for the Internal subnet taking into account the minimum total bandwidth that will keep this subnet happy?

Thanks for your help.

vazzY00
just joined

Re: Simple Queues for Prioritization

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:12 pm

Could you analyze the expected result like running speed tests in both networks?

Shouldn't you define bandwidth limits for such queues? (I'm also lack of knowledge)

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:38 pm

The device can not know the max bandwidth you have.

for examle your two queue:
/queue simple
add name="Internal Queue" priority=4/4 queue=default/default target=10.1.10.0/24
add name="Guest Queue" priority=6/6 queue=pcq-upload-default/pcq-download-default target=10.10.10.0/24
apply priority, but how much traffic can go in? how much out?
assign priority without know the limits make all useless.

You need to start a tree:
on top you place the limits of your connection, on default set priority to 5/5
and on each branch you define, place the wanted priority and also the traffic limits.
For set priority with efficence, you must reserve more bandwidth for higher priority

aroundi
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:21 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I should clarify I am looking to ensure that the Internal subnet will always have the bandwidth required while the Guest subnet is able to use whatever is left over. I am hoping to avoid reserving bandwidth for the Internal subnet that may not be in use when the Guest subnet could use it. Unfortunately, the bandwidth from the provider is variable and sometimes drops to very low levels.

Considering your responces I've reconfigured the queues as such:
[] > queue simple print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic
0 name="Internal Queue" target=10.1.10.0/24 parent=none packet-marks="" priority=4/4 queue=default/default limit-at=10M/10M max-limit=100M/100M burst-limit=0/0
burst-threshold=0/0 burst-time=0s/0s bucket-size=0.1/0.1

1 name="Guest Queue" target=10.10.10.0/24 parent=none packet-marks="" priority=6/6 queue=pcq-upload-default/pcq-download-default limit-at=0/0 max-limit=10M/10M
burst-limit=0/0 burst-threshold=0/0 burst-time=0s/0s bucket-size=0.1/0.1

I estimated that the bare minimum bandwidth for the Internal subnet to be happy at 10 Mbs.
I did not configure a tree as I'm not sure of the benefit. As I want the Internal queue to always be processed first I am thinking no tree is better.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:24 pm

"simple queues" are intended to evenly distribute the bandwidth among devices on the same network.
When you want to do something else, like what you need: give one network some bandwidth and the remainder to another network, it is better to use "queue tree".
You need to mark the packets for each network in a mangle rule, and then setup a global queue tree with two children with different priority and the required limit-at and max-limit, and the proper packet mark.

wpsd2006
just joined

Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:06 am

Does pirority works between parent and parent ?

Suppose
Streaming 8/8
  - Zoom 7/7
  - Youtube 8/8
  - Tiktok 8/8
Subnet1 5/5
Subnet2 4/4
Will subnet2 beat streaming ( beat zoom / youtube ) ?