Community discussions

MikroTik App

oimboh
just joined
Topic Author

Dual ISP Bandwidth Configuration

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:04 pm

Hi,,
I have an rv951 and would like to have my two links from two different isps to run on the same router
I have tried bonding ether1 and 2 but nothing works. How can I disable ether2 as the master port? How can I make ether3 the master port? Finally how to achieve a successful von ether1 and 2? Both my isps provide dhcp IP.
A step by step guide will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Dual ISP Bandwidth Configuration

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:09 pm

The word "bonding" on your post makes me write:
You understand than (bandwidth ISP1) + (bandwidth ISP2) ≠ (sum of bandwidth of both ISP)
Your max speed for single connection can be only the faster (or the slower, for config) ISP

The word "master" on your post makes me write:
Your RouterOS version can be really old, if are still present master/slave on bridge interface

The phrase "disable ether2 as the master port? How can I make ether3 the master port?" on your post makes me write:
You have all port on same bridge / EX ether2 master all the other slave?

Help you to do it from scratch is a work, you can search and find on forum dozen of time the same question, use those topics and posts for examples.
But that do not exclude than someone can help you.

My hint is: start from zero + default:
Upgrade/update to RouterOS 6.47.10,
reset-configuration with default values,
do not delete or modify without any valid reasion the firewall rules,
start from here.

vazzY00
just joined

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:02 pm

I'm currently setting up something like yours.

I started setting up a Home AP (QuickSet) on my hap lite.

Then disabled wlan interface (Because hap lite's wifi sucks and prefer using some cheap Tenda).

Removed ether2 from the bridge (Also if prior to RouterOS7 set the local network dhcp server (192.168.88.0/24) to ether3, It wont let you remove ether2 or just freeze the network).

For cleaning purpouses I renamed ether1 and ether2 to wan1, wan2.

Then added a DHCP client on the wan2 interface.

From here on things started to get messy. It's not that you can just merge both speeds, you could use a ecmp load balancing scheme, which will start splitting the traffic equally between all the gateways (ISPs), or a PCC scheme where you can mark which type of traffic you want through ISP1, and which other through ISP2 (which could be differente protocols like HTTPS, Gaming, etc., or devices like Office-PC, Sis' PC, Mobile, etc..

Both have their pros and cons, so I just preferred having a backup failover. When Wan1 goes down, Wan2 goes up and viceversa.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:22 pm

For example, but is not all:

...and prefer using some cheap Tenda...
Than sometime enable DHCP server on itself for no reason, also if apparently correct installed...

Removed ether2 from the bridge
What bridge? If the user (than till now has not replied about) has old RouterOS with master and slave interface, do not have any bridge...

...Also if prior to RouterOS7 ...
Please do not suggest beta to new or inexperienced users....

set the local network dhcp server (192.168.88.0/24) to ether3
the IP, if any from default configuration, are or on bridge, or on ether2-master: or is leaved on bridge, where must be, or be set to ether3 after make ether3 the master and 4 and 5 the slaves.

It wont let you remove ether2 or just freeze the network
What mean?
Removing / moving IP cause lost connection if the device are managed by IP, do not freeze the network

For cleaning purpouses I renamed ether1 and ether2 to wan1, wan2.
Better to leave the default name and instead enter WANx in the comment, which is then visible in the drop-down menu,
or at least call it as ether1-wan1

Then added a DHCP client on the wan2 interface.
You just forget to suggest to use different default route distance,
if the distance are identical, the connection with little IP value are choiced for connection.
For use both must be done, as you say, routing, pcc, ecmp, etc.

Simply set the default route distance, for example on the line with most performance set on DHCP client the default route distance 10, and 20 on the other.

If the main connection stop working must be used some form of failover between two wan, before do any traffic shaping, PCC, etc.
Because if stop working, or you detach the ether cable, or probably the router until dhcp client is active do not understand that.