Community discussions

MikroTik App

mootik
just joined
Topic Author

Port trunking problems  [SOLVED]

Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:10 am

Hello everyone, first time here

I've been using a CRS309-1G-8S+IN switch for about a year now in RouterOS configuration for my in home network, over that year I've been doing research on how I can expand (or rather police) my network. A lot of the examples that I've read on the Mikrotik wiki's and elsewhere seem to be a common theme that I'm trying to accomplish aside from additional hardware that I'm trying to use.. Ultimately, the problem that I'm having is that I'm unable to get a VLAN300 DHCP address assigned to the guest network on the wireless access point. I've been haggling with this problem for some time and read through pages and pages of examples on how to do this but I feel like the issue is with the mikrotik since I'm able to get DHCP working on VLAN100 devices. I've taken some time to build a diagram for you all so I can accurately try to portray what I'm trying to do. On my AP I'm currently tagging the WAN port with both 100/300 VLAN IDs, as well as the switch (CPU) interface that I created in OpenWRT, but for the life of me can't understand why DHCP isn't working for VLAN300 on the AP. Can anyone lend a hand to a noob? Does anyone have some what of a similar setup? Any other suggestions on what I should do are appreciated.

Thanks for the help in advance.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Port trunking problems

Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:18 pm

Post current (non-working) config and the diagram. Post text export (execute /export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish and copy-paste file contents).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:39 pm

The moment you said openwrt, I realized you were not talking about MT switch to MT AP but MT switch to 3rdparty Equipment.
It sounds like you have correctly passed both vlans 100 and 300 to the openwrt device as trunk port and the problem is your AP is
a. not able to deal with it OR
b. expects a hybrid port arrangement?

mootik
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:09 am

Guys, this is embarrassing. So, after fiddling with it some yesterday, I realized the trunk and lan cables were interchanged on my openwrt AP. If my lan port was tagged it probably would have gave me a successful result. Once I switched them things started working the way I'd have expected. Thanks all for the help.