Community discussions

MikroTik App

jigsaw
just joined
Topic Author

Automating backup links in a bridged network

Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:53 pm

We have a network consisting of a few hundred devices, connected via wireless (mostly), ethernet and a few fiber links. There are some intentional loops created for backups. We'd like to automate switching these links on and off.
The whole network is bridged so naturally RSTP was our first choice, but after numerous attempts we can't get it working. Even with all path costs and weights set correctly loops are becoming a problem. So for now we have resorted to enabling and disabling bridge ports manually which is nowhere close to optimal.

Essentially this piece of the network is quite typical:

Usually there's more branches and bigger loops, but for this description it's good enough.
As I stated already - everything is bridged. Blue dots are Ubiquiti APs, green boxes are various Routerboards (RB2011, RB4011, hEX S, etc) and LAN can contain pretty much anything that has an ethernet port. APs are only doing the translation between wired and wireless and Routerboards handle QoS and sometimes NAT for LANs. There is a default gateway within the big bridged network cloud somewhere that everyone and everything uses for internet access.

So if the usual uplink for these 3 sites is Site A through U1 and something happens to that - is there a way I could write a script (or several) that could enable the backup link through Site C/U6 and disables the bridge port to U1 so there is no loop when it comes back online?
Also if MT-A itself goes down for some reason, any potential scripts will not run. Perhaps I'd need the same set of scripts on MT-B as well!? It's either quite complicated or I can't think of a solution...

Ubiquiti APs have quite limited management capabilities and there are no other devices under my control, so RouterOS scripts seem to be the only option in this situation.

Also it feels quite likely that we're bashing out heads at XY problem here. Of course nobody is jumping at a chance to reconfigure everything in a production network, but if there are strong enough arguments for it, it can be done. We have to explore all options before that though.

So - are automated link switching possible here? how?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Automating backup links in a bridged network

Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:24 pm

Have you considerered to use MPLS / OSPF?

jigsaw
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Automating backup links in a bridged network

Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:46 pm

MPLS - no, it seemed to have too much unnecessary bells and whistles
OSPF - yes, that'd be my first try if I can't solve it without reconfiguring everything.