Community discussions

MikroTik App

WernerAstel
just joined
Topic Author

Winbox and NPCAP compatibility

Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:44 pm

Hi

I am having a strange issue with regards to WonBox and NPCAP / Wireshark. After installing Wireshark with NPCAP and rebooting the PC, Winbox discovery stops working. Uninstalling NPCAP does not resolve the issue, I had to restore my PC to a previous backup image I created. Any ideas?

WernerAstel
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Winbox and NPCAP compatibility

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:57 am

To add more details, I am also running Hyper-V on the same laptop. After re-imaging the laptop and installing VirtualBox, I have the same issue - this is without having Wireshark / NPCAP installed. So i suspect it has something to do with Hyper-V and its network stack

goodbye

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:58 am

I'm on a desktop now with the hyperv network stack installed for native os vlan bridging to various virtual interfaces. VMware Workstation is installed, and binds to the same virutal nics.

With Windows 10, you need to understand that if you're sharing the physical network connection between the host and the virtual machines, there is now a logical/software bridge object between you/userland and the actual wire, even if you don't have any vlans configured.

All vlans and vlan-interfaces are configured using powershell only; there's no gui or netsh interfaces to mange vlans / hyperv networking on Windows 10.

Mikrotk discovery works fine for me either on one of the hyper-v vlan-ed os interfaces to my main nic, or via one of the many usb3 nics i'e used (natively, no hyperv management/integration) for various testing/initial-device-config activities.

If you've got IPv4 and/or IPv6 bound to an interface that's visible from userland, discovery should work over that interface (protocol-specific, v4 for v4, v6 for v6).

It's all working swimmingly for me....

I know this probably wasn't a lot of help. "Works for me" isn't usually the most helpful reply.
However, "it works for most people" is still a valid data point.

What's 'special' and/or 'half-configured' on your system?

WernerAstel
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:05 pm

I restored my laptop again. After installing Virtualbox, Winbox discovery stops working, so looks like something Virtualbox does to the network adapter is causing the issue.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:46 pm

Nothing to do with NPCAP.
Nothing to do with what "VirtualBox does to the network adapter".
VirtualBox by default adds an "Host Only" Network adapter and Winbox will try to use that one for discovery.
You either disable that network adapter and restart WinBox, or save your devices in WinBox and don't rely on discovery.

WernerAstel
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:49 pm

Thanks @ Znevna, I'll try that and see. If that is the case, it would be nice if you could choose the interface Winbox runs on

WernerAstel
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Hi @Znevna. You hit the nail on the head, it was the Virtualbox Host Only adapter causing the issue. Thanks for the help.

I find it silly that Winbox defaults to that adapter with no option to change it.