Community discussions

MikroTik App

diniboy
just joined
Topic Author

Forwarding remote DLNA server

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:17 am

Hey,

I am very new to mikrotik, just bought my first ever device a hap ac2 which now empowers my home network. I got a traditional setup there with a local nat at 192.168.1.0/24 and I get my own IP directly on mikrotik from the ISP's HGW in bridge mode.

This works well, however I have a DLNA server hosted in the hetzner datacenters on a dedicated server. I would like to be able to access this DLNA from my home network.

As far as I know DLNA needs layer2 for broadcasts therefore ipsec + eoip would come handy, but on the hetzner box there is no routeros but Fedora Server which doesn't support it.

What else I could use to bring the DLNA service home? What would be the best for L2 "tunneling" between a Linux box and routeros?

It's really important that I don't touch the server's default gateway or don't route all traffic home, only dlna.

Thanks.

diniboy
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Forwarding remote DLNA server

Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:10 pm

Since I didn't get a single reply on how to do this properly, I decided to set up L2TP over IPSec. I used xl2tpd on linux side to connect. First of all it didn't quite work at all. I could see attempts to establish the ipsec tunnel, but the l2tp auth always failed. I figured if I turn aes * gcm off and only leave aes * cdc it connects well. However that one is a lot slower and I wouldn't want to use that. Unsure if xl2tpd supports it or not and if not, is there any linux client that would.

So then I have internet on the client side and I can see that if I make a curl request it resolves to the remote IP. However the vpn connection is lost in a few minutes. In the router log I see a client timeout error. No clue what did I do wrong.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Forwarding remote DLNA server

Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:50 pm

L2TP is confusingly not a layer2 VPN, it tunnels layer2 PPP traffic in IP UDP packets. The PPP connection normally transports layer3 IP, it can transport layer2 ethernet if both ends support BCP - Mikrotik do (but not attached to VLAN-aware bridges), YMMV with other L2TP clients or servers.