Community discussions

MikroTik App

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Need to find older swOS

Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:17 am

I have a client with an RB260GSP(CSS106-1G-4P-1S) that hasn't been upgraded since 2.4. Attempts to update to 2.13, both from the web and from a local file, fail.

In standard fashion, I munged the URL on the Software page to find older releases. It seems I can get back to 2.9 by doing that, but no further. Unfortunately, 2.9 won't install either.

I assume there is some "flag day" release between 2.4 and 2.9 that has to be installed before I can go any higher, though it isn't obvious from the changelog.

How do I find 2.5-2.8 for this model so that I can walk it to modern times step by step?

(I can't Netinstall the box because it isn't local to me.)

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Need to find older swOS

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:30 am

you can use tftp procedure to upgrade the device

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS/RB2 ... S_firmware

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:15 am

This doesn't appear to be a helpful suggestion.

I already took care to mention that the unit is remote and not physically available to me, so anything that requires me to "hold the reset button down" is a deal-breaker. There is also no local MikroTIk router in the facility that I could use per these instructions, in any case.

More to the point, if 2.9 and up fail to upgrade from a local file, and also fail to upgrade from over the web, it's logical to assume that the problem isn't in getting the file to the device, it's that some portion of the upgrade isn't compatible with old release 2.4. Hence my request for the location of versions 2.5-2.9 to download. Can anyone provide this information?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:48 pm

This doesn't appear to be a helpful suggestion.
Thanks, very kind, this is just an asshole answer for anyone trying to help you.
But, no problem, I still try to help you.

More to the point, if 2.9 and up fail to upgrade from a local file, and also fail to upgrade from over the web,
it's logical to assume that the problem isn't in getting the file to the device
For me, It's logical than (with informations you provide) you try to upgrade it from remote web browser not compatible.

What browser and device you try to use? Fore example Safari, Edge, new Internet Explorer 11 from Win7SP1+ are not compatible with 2.4:
What's new in v2.6:
*) make upgrading work from Safari

What's new in v2.7:
*) Make SwOS work with MS Internet Explorer 11

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 pm

Sorry to be an asshole for explaining for the second time why a suggestion (that wasn't the info I asked for) wasn't possible in my case. But I do thank you for your kindness in eventually answering my original question.

Update attempts were being performed using Edge browser (no idea what version) on client's PC via screen sharing (AnyDesk). Sad to hear MT update procedure failed with so many basic manufacturers' browsers, would be interesting to know what browsers the guys in Riga use every day that this went unnoticed.

I will give my client's switch another update attempt with 2.13 using Chrome, and if it fails, will work my way slowly up the chain of releases you provided. Thanks again.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:15 pm

MT update procedure failed with so many basic manufacturers' browsers
2.4 has some years... came out in 2016...
and in 2016 "modern" browsers do not exist... all another era...
The true question is, why on 6 years you try to update the device only now... (reading the changelog)

For example "Deliberant" and some "Ligowave" devices now are useless without flash player...
I must keep one virtual machine with Windows XP...

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:28 pm

The true question is, why on 6 years you try to update the device only now... (reading the changelog)
For example "Deliberant" devices now are useless without flash player...
Why? Because equipment owner called me to get help now, so I am attempting to upgrade them now.
(In my experience, Deliberant devices were useless even with Flash Player.) 😜

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:01 pm

Oh, now I understand perfectly your situation...

When we start to be WISP we don't want control over what users buy,
to try to please them as much as possible, because we have to increase the "user base"...

Now with a some thousand users, we can afford to choose and ban any sh!t... :P

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:06 pm

Bought two to test-fly in early days, was appalled at management UI and funky mount/cable hardware, used them up until they fried then trashed them.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:09 pm

Now users can use (for free!) our hAP ac² provided as a basic router,
or if they don't want to use our router (for free!), but want buy one,
they have as a requirement that it be a MikroTik RouterBOARD!!! (not SMPIS and recent) :)))

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:05 am

Well, something is definitely not right.

Tonight we used Chrome to try to update this switch. It's clearly the right model and the right firmware.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 7.42.57 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 7.43.54 PM.jpg

I started by just trying to upgrade manually from the 2.13 file. Failed. So we powercycled and tried upgrading manually from the 2.5 file, the minimum possible upgrade.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 7.44.54 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 7.45.22 PM.jpg

After a few seconds "upgrading," a "sad face file" appeared in the bottom field and router dropped offline. (Last night, when we were using Edge, what showed up there looked like the bottom half of a large cloud icon, not helpful).

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 7.45.30 PM.jpg

Obviously, this switch isn't going to update from any of these files. So it looks like unless I can get him to ship it to me for update, I'm going to have to punt on this.

I noticed on the System page there is an overall RSTP setting (now I wish I had included it in the screen shot). I believe the values in the boxes were "8000" and "short." (I realize that one of the subsequent updates, which I can't apply, moved this to the port screen.) What I would like to do is disable RSTP on this switch entirely, but there is no obvious way to do this. Is there any way to express this given the existing global controls?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:47 am

Sorry, but why you not try to use "iexplore" from start / run or on command prompt, if is windows,
or download firefox?