Community discussions

MikroTik App

IwanGreyling
Topic Author

A few questions about Mikrotik Hotspot

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:07 pm

Hi there!
I'm trying to get the company I work for out of the dark ages.
We're small but growing quickly. I am the IT Department. At the moment they use Kid Control as a QoS but it's causing a LOT of PT for me needing to sift through the list of connections and trying to figure out who needs what and who's who.
We have limited bandwidth (10Mbit symmetric), and need to prioritize traffic.

I am thinking of using the Hotspot server to manage devices better.
I do have a few issues with that.

Firstly, we have several printers that connect to the Wifi network with no other means of connecting.
I know the Hotspot server has a way of logging in with MAC addresses, and if I can get that to work it'll solve a lot of my problems.

The second is the server.
We have a server hosting our ERP system and a few other things like surveillance. I would like that to have a static IP and no sign in at all. I would also like the people connected to the hotspot to be able to connect to it without jumping through hoops.

The third is I've recieved complaints about me wanting the engineers to log in every day. Is there a way to automatically log in some people? Or use the Windows VPN client to log in?

(Then a not hotspot related question)
Is there a good tutorial on how to manage multiple static IP addresses on Mikrotik?
We have a few and I'd like one to be allocated to the server without a NAT/Firewall for now and options to block some traffic, then one for the users, through the NAT. At the moment I have the server just plugged directly into one of the static IP ports and it's stressing me out.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post! And looking forward to you guys' advice!