Community discussions

MikroTik App

Linuxphoto
just joined
Topic Author

Empty SMB share when connected from Mac

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:08 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm experiencing the Samba sharing issue in RouterOS, and googling around the Web has not been helpful so far. It goes like this:
I've set up a shared SMB folder on my Mikrotik hAP AC2 (ROS 6.43). It is a flash thumb drive formatted as Ext3. The share location is \\192.168.88.1\disk3. I allowed guest access with RW support.
I can use this shared folder from a couple of Linux guests which is just fine for me. However, when I connect to this shared folder from mac mini running macOS Catalina, I see no files. The share looks empty (while it is definitely not so).
I've tried various options in /etc/nsmb.conf on macOS, but none brought any relief. A small ray of hope appeared after following the advice from here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208209
I changed Finder network sorting behaviour:
defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool TRUE
and after that I was able to see the shared folder's contents, yet without any thumbnails. I still could not copy anything from it (error -43).

So, please give a clue on where to dig further. Is it because RouterOS and macOS use different versions of Samba? What can I do to access the share from macOS?
Last edited by Linuxphoto on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Empty SMB share when connected from Mac

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:17 pm

First of all you have a very old software (2018-09-10), upgrade to long-term 6.47.10,
probably after some year, if is a bug the problem, is already solved,
and you lost only time for not have upgraded the RouterBOARD.

Linuxphoto
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:27 pm

First of all you have a very old software (2018-09-10), upgrade to long-term 6.47.10,
probably after some year, if is a bug the problem, is already solved,
and you lost only time for not have upgraded the RouterBOARD.
Thanks for this tip, I'll do the upgrade later today! (although not sure if there will be a different SMB service in the newer ROS...)

ljavorsk
just joined

Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:55 pm

Did you manage to fix the issue? I've been hitting this problem the whole day without any luck in fixing it.