Community discussions

MikroTik App

Machello
Topic Author

Need for external antennas!!!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:32 pm

I was just wondering when will Mikrotik consider to develop external antennas for indoor routers. What I would like to see is something like a RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN with a modem that connects via ethernet port to something like a SXT LTE6 kit and utilize it's antenna. Mikrotik seems to forget that a lot of their long range LTE devices get installed on very high up towers. Pressing the reset switch or changing the sim up there can be a lot of work when a person could just press the reset switch or change the sim on the router on ground level. I should not be too hard for Mikrotik to program RouterOS to do this with current LTE and ethernet router devices.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Need for external antennas!!!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:10 am

I don't understand, are you talking about LTE antennas or what?
RB4011 already has external antennas, as does hAP ac3, Chateau etc.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:46 am

If what you mean is that the radios in the inside router would send the radio signal up the tower to an SXT mounted at the top of a tall tower - not gonna work. Radio signals in cables at the frequencies you are asking about have very high attenuation. In other words, even with a fairly small tower (short cable run), you could easily loose 99.9 % of the signal getting between the radios inside and the antennas outside. And by the way, you can't carry that radio signal in a Cat-5 or Cat-6 cable anyway.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:48 am

...What I would like to see is something like a RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN with a modem that connects via ethernet port to something like a SXT LTE6 kit and utilize it's antenna.....
CAPSMAN?