Community discussions

MikroTik App

korcom
just joined
Topic Author

Ipv6 Multiple Gateways

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:17 pm

Good day Community
I have searched far and wide and I cannot find an answer for Multiple Gateways with IPV6

Here is my current setup:
1 x HE 6to4 Tunnel :: Gateway: 2000::/3
New Setup
1 x HE 6to4 Tunnel :: Gateway: 2000::/3
1 x Ipv6 Block Assigned to my AS Number: Gateway: ::/0
What is the best way to get the configuration working with both the HE tunnel and the routed IPv6?

I know with Ipv4 we would separate the table from the main table but I am unsure with IPv6

Thank you in advanced.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Ipv6 Multiple Gateways

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:44 pm

With IPv6 you normally can't choose route because end devices have public (routable) IPv6 addresses, so no NAT (which actually enables choosing route in IPv4). The only thing Mikrotik router can do is to choose route depending on src-address. The way you can affect choice of route is by making LAN devices to have "the right" IPv6 address. Which is not an easy task itself, but possibilities depend on what LAN infrastructure devices you have. If you have a proper DHCPv6 server running and devices are not android, then you can configure static IPv6 leases. Or you can run two LANs (or VLANs) with different IPv6 subnets...

korcom
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:02 pm

With IPv6 you normally can't choose route because end devices have public (routable) IPv6 addresses, so no NAT (which actually enables choosing route in IPv4). The only thing Mikrotik router can do is to choose route depending on src-address. The way you can affect choice of route is by making LAN devices to have "the right" IPv6 address. Which is not an easy task itself, but possibilities depend on what LAN infrastructure devices you have. If you have a proper DHCPv6 server running and devices are not android, then you can configure static IPv6 leases. Or you can run two LANs (or VLANs) with different IPv6 subnets...
This setup is on more Core router so I would need to move the Ipv6 closer towards the clients?

Regards

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:27 pm

ROS doesn't provide proper DHCPv6 server if you're thinking about that. Other options are open, which one fits depends on your network topology and what is possible to do. If you can't figure it out yourself, hire a Miktotik consultant.

korcom
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:41 pm

ROS doesn't provide proper DHCPv6 server if you're thinking about that. Other options are open, which one fits depends on your network topology and what is possible to do. If you can't figure it out yourself, hire a Miktotik consultant.
Thank you I was hoping the community would shed some light but I will figure it out.

GAAA
just joined

Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:45 pm

The only thing Mikrotik router can do is to choose route depending on src-address. The way you can affect choice of route is by making LAN devices to have "the right" IPv6 address.
Are you saying mikrotik should automatically use the right route according to src address? Assigning different ipv6 address prefix to different lans is easy and they pick up from router advertisement, but then they dont work..