Community discussions

MikroTik App

cm3821
just joined
Topic Author

Two IPv6 providers - how to configure

Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:12 pm

Hello everybody, this is my situation:
- my isp is assigning me a /64 ipv6 pool, but it changes prefix every time I reconnect (I know, it's stupid, but that is). It is fast and quite good, so it's perfect for normal use
- I want to make my servers (I have some, for now ipv4 only) to be reachable via ipv6 but I can't rely on a dynamic prefix.

I requested a Hurricane Electric tunnel and it works, but it seems that when I advertise both classes I have to configure just one ipv6 gateway on the routing tab.

What I'd like to achieve is: no preference on going out (it's ok if I go out via dynamic prefix) but I want my servers to be reachable via HE tunnel. They get the address but never reply to pings, etc unless I disable my provider's gateway on the routing tab.

Any hint? Thank you!

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Two IPv6 providers - how to configure

Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:07 pm

If the ISPs follow best practices they will not forward traffic from addresses which they do not provide. Normally you would use policy routing so traffic from your HE address is sent via HE and the ISP-supplied address via the ISP, however RouterOS does not yet support IPv6 policy based routing so you are stuck with just using the HE addresses.

cm3821
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Two IPv6 providers - how to configure

Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:50 pm

Thank you, policy routing is the way I am using for ipv4 and it seemed strange that I couldn’t do it with ipv6. Now I know that Ros6 ipv6 support is still far behind ipv4.
Hetzner ipv4 price change is a sign that I must start planning my networks with ipv6 in mind.
I hope MikroTik will bring a more complete ipv6 feature set.