Community discussions

MikroTik App

gary
just joined
Topic Author

FireTV and Smart TV's won't work with Mikrotik on Verizon

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:54 pm

We are having problems with getting FireTV Sticks, Smart TV's and other non-computer devices working properly on a Mikrotik wAP LTE Kit when using Verizon. If we use a computer, it will connect to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc with no issue. However, it will not allow FireTV sticks to contact Amazon for its "Home" menus. I momentarily fooled it past by having the FireTV connect to a Verizon card via a GTEN C4R400 device, of which it works fine on Verizon/C4R400. I then got to the FireTV home screen with no problem, while in, I hooked it back up to the Mikrotik. Once I fooled it passed (let it cache) the Amazon Home Page, I selected some news apps and was able to see things fine. However, if I selected Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and such, it would not work. So long story short, Verizon works with the FireTV, but it will not work with it when connected through the Mikrotik for its cellular connection.

To set these up from scratch, we are running a script to set them up with the proper APN and such:
---------------------------------
/interface lte apn add name="Verizon" apn="vzwinternet" use-peer-dns=yes add-default-route=yes default-route-distance=1
/interface lte add name="LTE" network-mode=lte allow-roaming=yes apn-profiles="Verizon"
/interface lte set [find apn-profiles=Verizon]
/interface lte set 0 allow-roaming=yes
/interface lte set 0 network-mode=lte
/ip firewall nat add action=masquerade chain=srcnat out-interface=LTE
/ip firewall mangle add comment="MGC" action=change-ttl chain=prerouting new-ttl=set:100 in-interface=lte1 passthrough=yes
/ip firewall mangle add comment="MGC" action=change-ttl chain=postrouting new-ttl=set:100 passthrough=yes
---------------------------------
I don't see anything that causes a problem. We use this same script for setting it up for AT&T and it works just fine (except new-ttl=set:65 -- but I tried that setting with Verizon and it made no difference, so I set it back to 100)

Again, I would think this might just be Verizon blocking those devices, but they work fine when I use a GTEN Cellular Router, so it has to be a setting in the Mikrotik that is blocking the use of video services. I think?!?!

When I can fool the FireTV Stick to get me into Netflix, Netflix says it sees the Internet, BUT the 3 Netflix servers are not reachable. I did watch the connections and can see it trying to connect the servers, but getting 0 bytes transferred
portsblocked.png
By the way, this isn't happening on just one Mikrotik, it's all of them using Verizon. (But remember, I pull these SIMs out and place in a GTEN Router and it works fine.) I've also tried all 4 available firmware including the latest Beta just to make sure it wasn't something fixed in a firmware update. Other known things that are being blocked, a weather station and house thermostats. Also, multiple generations of FireTV Sticks including a 2021 Edition, all running the latest updated software.

Any ideas on something could try?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gary
just joined
Topic Author

Re: FireTV and Smart TV's won't work with Mikrotik on Verizon

Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:51 am

At this point, the question is... Does ANYONE have a Mikrotik working with Verizon service, that can use Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime?

We've tried 5 different devices, 5 different SIM's, associated with 5 different accounts with no luck. Works fine with other carriers, but it seems to only work with Verizon for 20 minutes, then everything breaks and it'll never come back. It's almost like the device is being blocked, because I can take the SIM out and put it in a C4R400 (GTEN) device and it resumes working fine in every way including speeds.

If anyone does, I'd sure love to get a backup of the setup and try it on mine. Otherwise, I'm going to have to assume I just need to stop trying to use Mikrotik's with Verizon cellular.

LoneRager

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:32 pm

I use these video streaming services all the time with my Mikrotik SXT with Verizon. Try TTL 65.

What kind of plan do you have? Is it a data plan, or a phone plan?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Two things....

(1) /export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish
So that we can see what you may have setup thats preventing access!

(2) Depending upon the device, it may be expecting or only work with certain DNS services such as google, OR
the device is using a non-standard domain name for DNS and the MT corrects the name to standard which the device then fails to recognize and doesnt reply.

Try setting DNS on DHCP server network to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 for example

As a side note, I have not had such problems from my smart devices ??