Community discussions

MikroTik App

synapsis
Topic Author

RB532A Throughput (cross posted on the RouterBoard Forum)

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:23 am

Hi Everyone

At the link below, the effective throughput for various RouterBoard products is published.

http://www.routerboard.com/pdf/results_18may2007.pdf

For the RB500, the following figures are quoted for Routing with Connection Tracking:

RB500 with packet size 512
= 58,54MBit/s
RB500 with packet size 1500
= 157,78MBit/s

I have a RouterBoard 532A with the RouterBoard 564 Ethernet daughter board installed.

When I have done throughput testing, the maximum I've ever seen or been able to achieve is around 18MBit/s. The devices I'm using are high end PC's and Servers and when they are on the same subnet they achieve near 100MBit/s performance so I know it's not an issue with the end devices.

I'd be interested in hearing whether other people have been able to achieve the performance that is quoted on the RouterBoard web site and perhaps get some insight into how they configured their router to enable such performance.

Richard

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RB532A Throughput (cross posted on the RouterBoard Forum)

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:15 am

Hi Everyone

At the link below, the effective throughput for various RouterBoard products is published.

http://www.routerboard.com/pdf/results_18may2007.pdf

For the RB500, the following figures are quoted for Routing with Connection Tracking:

RB500 with packet size 512
= 58,54MBit/s
RB500 with packet size 1500
= 157,78MBit/s

I have a RouterBoard 532A with the RouterBoard 564 Ethernet daughter board installed.

When I have done throughput testing, the maximum I've ever seen or been able to achieve is around 18MBit/s. The devices I'm using are high end PC's and Servers and when they are on the same subnet they achieve near 100MBit/s performance so I know it's not an issue with the end devices.

I'd be interested in hearing whether other people have been able to achieve the performance that is quoted on the RouterBoard web site and perhaps get some insight into how they configured their router to enable such performance.

Richard
18 MBit/s sounds a bit low but you say nothing about how and with what you are conducting your tests.
But then again, neither is mikrotik, so their numbers are completely useless.

bushy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB532A Throughput (cross posted on the RouterBoard Forum)

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:08 pm

I don't think you can get the very best throughput at long distance with the radios close together as they are in boards/pcs etc ( if you have more than one card per board. )
Whats needed is a radiocard that has the high frequency ( 2.4 or 5.8) bit up the tower fed by p-o-coax and the "intelligent " part of the card down below. Don't you agree that would be the killer card ?