Community discussions

MikroTik App

nagylzs
Topic Author

What are routing filters?

Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:20 pm

There is a documentation here: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:R ... ng_filters but it lacks the usual description at the beginning.

Some questions:

* what process is checking these rules?
* what is the event that triggers the evaluation of these rules?

I'm in particular interested in how it can be used to disable routes when the gateway becomes unavailable. ( For example, described here viewtopic.php?t=112532# ).

nagylzs
Topic Author

Re: What are routing filters?

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:11 am

Nobody knows?

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:37 am

They are used by routing processes (Static and dynamic Routing) you have to specify where they will be used.
In my case are used in BGP and specify source IP if will be accepted or not

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:38 pm

These rules are evaluated whenever a route is about to be added into a routing table by any dynamic process (dynamic routing protocols or just DHCP). AFAIK, change of state of an already existing route (e.g. when its gateway interface changes state) doesn't trigger evaluation of these rules. I'm not sure whether the rules are evaluated when you add a route manually.

nagylzs
Topic Author

Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:08 pm

These rules are evaluated whenever a route is about to be added into a routing table by any dynamic process (dynamic routing protocols or just DHCP). AFAIK, change of state of an already existing route (e.g. when its gateway interface changes state) doesn't trigger evaluation of these rules. I'm not sure whether the rules are evaluated when you add a route manually.
Well if change of state of an already existing route does not trigger the evaluation of these rules, then how do you explain the set-check-gateway=ping property of these rules? They are clearly evaluated AFTER the rule has been added. It would be more probable that these rules are evaluated when routes are determined/selected for packets? Otherwise it would be hard to explain how "set-check-gateway=ping" works. But of course, this is just guesswork. :-(

I have already reported to Mikrotik support about the missing documentation, I think it was at least 6 months ago. :-(