Community discussions

MikroTik App

starbreaker
just joined
Topic Author

Voip traffic drops when using PPTP PurveVPN

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:55 am

Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble using VoIP with PPTP VPN.

MY setup is this: I have an Internet Connection with Dynamic IP. I have installed PPTP in my Mikrotik Router, but I'm having trouble with Voice Traffic. Voice traffic doesn't seem to work when i enable PPTP, but when i disable it works.

Is there any way i can route Voice Traffic only to go outside PPTVP VNP and all other traffic to go through the VPN?

Update for a bit more clarification: The soft Phones (I'm using X-Lite) are installed on the PC and the PC is on a LAN that is being NAT-ed, so i need a way to separate VoIP traffic from normal traffic.
Also the VoIP server is hosted a public address

Thanks,

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Voip traffic drops when using PPTP PurveVPN

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:30 pm

To achieve this, it should be enough to add a dedicated route to the VoIP server via the normal WAN gateway. This will ensure that even if the default route is superseded by the one via PPTP, the traffic for the VoIP server will keep using the WAN gateway. With a dynamic address, this may require updating the route as the WAN gateway may change too - it depends on your WAN type (DHCP or PPPoE) whether it is necessary and where to place the script.

But since you have a dynamic IP, the VoIP traffic must have an issue each time the address changes. What happens now (before adding the route as above) if you start the PPTP VPN and then let the X-lites re-register?

Last point, what makes you use PPTP, given that it provides just an illusion of security and L2TP configuration is equally simple (or complex)?

erkexzcx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:38 pm

PureVPN doesn't even have IPSEC/IKE2 protocol... :D OpenVPN is slow, PPTP is insecure, L2TP is okayish.

Ehman

Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:33 pm

I used SSTP on my router with purevpn, but now we all have a big messedup problem
https://support.purevpn.com/protocol-discontinuation :shock: :?