Community discussions

MikroTik App

dgnevans
Topic Author

Hotspot restriction issues

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:34 pm

I setup a hotspot with the built in radius server and Userman.
I then created profiles with different transfer restrictions.
Allowed mutiple devices to use the same username and password within the settings.
Created tokens (username & passwords) This all appears to work as expected.
I adjusted the code on the status page to show remaining transfer.
The issue I am seeing is when I look at the status page on the devices. it shows a varying remaining bandwidth which does not tally with the amount used if I look under userman under the username in statistics. Basically it appears as though each device is getting the full lets say 1 Gig yet the limit for that username is 1 Gig.

dgnevans
Topic Author

Re: Hotspot restriction issues

Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:55 am

So after monitoring and checking for sometime it appears this is a radius issue. When the username logs in from one device a session is opened on radius server for that device / mac address/ ip address. the remaining transfer is reported and this shows in the status. This device is then limited to that transfer until it create a new session by logging out and then back in. the total transfer is recorded in radius but each device will only get the updated transfer available when the session is reset. if they disconnect and reconnect this will happen. it is not a major issue but it would be good if the radius server used the account at the username and not by session.