Community discussions

MikroTik App

servaris
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CCR1009 L2TP/IPsec VPN not masquerading location error or bug

Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:23 am

Have a CCR1009 in our DC in Canada. It is configured for L2TP/IPsec VPN connections for some users. Some users are in North America and some are in Israel.

The problem is when a user is connected to the CCR1009 VPN from Canada or the USA and opens chrome or firefox and goes to google.com, the resultant page displays they are in Israel. If any of the users does a search for 'my ip' the search result shows the correct IP address. The IP address is a unique routeable IP handed to each client by the CCR1009 DHCP server.
I cannot find anything in the configuration of the CCR1009 that is causing this.

Also have a hEX S router in my office which is also in Canada with the same VPN configuration as the CCR1009. When connected to the VPN on the hEX S the location displayed from google.com for any user (we tried having 5 users from Canada, USA and Israel) showed they were in Canada which is correct since the router is in Canada.

The only difference between the two routers is the CCR1009 has a /24 and no RFC1918 IP addresses while the hEX S only has 1 public IP address and the user connected to the hEX S is handed an RFC1918 IP address.

Prior to writing this, the CCR1009 packages were upgraded to 6.48.4 as well as the firmware.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.