Community discussions

MikroTik App

davorjs
just joined
Topic Author

kid control in V7.1rc2

Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:45 am

Hi all,

I have V7.1rc2 running on my home router in basic NAT mode. No problems so far.

I looked at Kid control, devices for the first time ever and noticed an Activity column. This was dynamically populated with sites (resolved, not IPs) that the devices were visiting.

Nice.

Checked this on some other routers running 6.48.3 and it didn't appear to have data in the Activity column. New for V7.1?

p3ter
just joined

Re: kid control in V7.1rc2

Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:05 pm

I would also like to know more about the 'Activity' column. Are we looking at "most recent DNS lookup for this device"? Or is it something else?

From the perspective of keeping an eye on what is going on with a user, it seems like it might be useful, but it is also quite misleading - for example when I see a device consuming a lot of bandwidth (streaming video), the 'Activity' column seems like it might be the address of the last Ad served - not the address of the connection currently consuming all the bandwidth.

p3ter
just joined

Re: kid control in V7.1rc2

Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:15 pm

...and another thing... :)

In the spirit of one-off monitoring of a client abusing their internet privileges, I personally would prefer to see more information with less granularity, rather than one single 'Activity' connection with lots of granularity...
e.g. one client recently saw these 3 Activity connections:
  • a1nglh0fh0ajuq.iot.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com
    obc-0-716-38.1.nflxso.net
    datarouter.ol.epicgames.com
...but I would have much rather seen:
"nflxso.net,epicgames.com,amazonaws.com"
...i.e. only 'domain.tld', but a number of significant active connections, in order of the connection currently consuming most bandwidth. (Netflix, Gaming, etc...)