Community discussions

MikroTik App

upower3
Topic Author

Can not get 60-day trial license for CHR

Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:24 am

Hi,

I try to deploy CHR instance from .OVF template (which was easy, thank you for the template) and then try to get free license for the instance.

I enter my mikrotik.com login (email) and password, hit "Start" - I see status bar change ("Connecting" -> "Done") and nothing happens afterwards.

If the MT's license server is down or it's my fault?

The CHR instance is basically has clear config (ip, gw, user), so I suspect it won't affect.

leoservices
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Can not get 60-day trial license for CHR

Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:31 am

I started a CHR and the same problem occurs which leads me to believe that the license server is not working.

upower3
Topic Author

Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:40 am

Once it happened (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89857&p=514410) to MT's dyndns "cloud" DNS, it was Christmas days when noone was at MT's office, so DNS was down all New Year's holidays. Now I see they put activation service on the same office-based box, I suspect.

Looks like monitoring is not something that was in place to let MT staff to know that server is down.
Last edited by upower3 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

krisjanisj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:42 am

Please create a supout.rif file and send it to us via support@mikrotik.com so we can look into this.

upower3
Topic Author

Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:18 pm

Please create a supout.rif file and send it to us via support@mikrotik.com so we can look into this.
Just tested on different new CHR VM deployed on different virtualization host in different place and on different network - still no luck in getting trial license. Seems like getting hacked version on torrent is more robust that to use CHR instance which can one day deny to work as intended due to no contact to you activation service.

krisjanisj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:44 pm

Just tested on different new CHR VM deployed on different virtualization host in different place and on different network - still no luck in getting trial license. Seems like getting hacked version on torrent is more robust that to use CHR instance which can one day deny to work as intended due to no contact to you activation service.
Again - please create a supout.rif file and send it to us via support@mikrotik.com so we can properly investigate this.

upower3
Topic Author

Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Again - please create a supout.rif file and send it to us via support@mikrotik.com so we can properly investigate this.
I doubt the same problem may happen on different ROS releases (tested all branches available via update system), on different hypervisors (ESXi and KVM), on different networks in different data-centers, placed in different cities, even tried different mikrotik.com logins to activate the license - and no luck so far. It only says "free" license effecive, and 1 Mbit speed limit. At the same time, I can see IP -> DNS -> Cache contains activate server DNS record. I'm far from the winbox console but don't you see the same problem if you try to get trial license right now?

My great surprise was license system won't produce any system logs even in debug mode, so no "Fail to get license" or whatever error message I can supply here.

And, my great concern is, if I brought the paid license and tried to activate it the same way I suspect I got no luck as well, and production instance won't run as intended. This is the reason to care for - the activation system fail is a serious business risk for us as users.

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:23 pm

Well - business users usually know how to follow instructions. Like, creating a supout.rif and sending it to support.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:29 pm

Is clear than is more interested to write than getting help...