Community discussions

MikroTik App

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Cellular for Video Security Coverage............

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:17 pm

Chap I know wants to monitor a Parking Lot by video camera.
Problem is two fold.
a. no wifi coverage available.
b. no power available.

What does MT have in the LTE product line that would provide connectivity
a. to cellular service (modem)
b. ethernet or wifi to colocated video camera of ilk to be decided

The stickler is the power source.
Are there compact power source ideas that would work, possibly supported by solar cell as a part solution.
I believe he can jury rig a stand up on a pole or something.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Cellular for Video Security Coverage............

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:26 pm

If on parking lot is present one crepuscular light for night, you can use the power, when present, to recharge the battery...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:51 pm

Jajajaja you made me work for that one.........
So you are saying if there is a light that turns on for night then you can use the power.
Hmmm I am not so sure that tapping into the city electrical lighting system is actually legal ??
But I will ask what night lighting is already setup.

Edit, no lights available to tap into.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:31 pm

Is just an idea, on our country the private park light are payed from the property, not the municipality....

Kindis

Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:47 pm

A big battery with a solar power should work for the router as they do not draw much power but the camera is a big unknown.
There must be ready made battery and solar cells for use in off grid areas that should work. If memory serves me right you live in Canada and there should definitely be something there for you just need to find a retailer for it.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:59 pm

Check first https://mikrotik.com/products/group/lte-5g-products to filter some few of those. Good way is at place check internet via some easy/small usb dongle like E3272 to check what internet you can get from 1 Band only device. Phone can have advance lte chip and show you big speed....

If you know they not have LTE signal at that simple device you know that you must use external and directional antenna.
At the moment it is called reading tea leaves.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:09 pm

Agreed!

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:40 pm

Or better, maybe two MikroTik discributors from Ottawa can share you a device for test, you are senior here at forum then you know, they should :D.
In UE we have a law that if person buy from company then have 14d to back unit without any message, when a transaction is done by person, not company. That way some some people in UE test new devices :D.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:58 am

Hi my chubby little friend, I think the answer is that the chap I bumped into at a store and am trying to help,
needs to fork over a few $1000 to our utility company to bring power and possibly even a telephone pole to his parking lot that needs surveillance.

Here is why I attempted to help, he was in Best Buy, looking Blink WIFI camera supposedly outdoor with two year battery life.
I imagine you can already see the problems with this line of thinking. Of course the salesperson was OH yeah that will work, so I had to step in.

- poor lighting in the area (blink is not PRO quality)
- battery in cold loses effectiveness quite rapidly especially a piddly batter they have
- supposed to be weather resistant, we get ice fog, salt fog, lots of ice buildup, etc........ heavy winds, heavy rain, lots of humididty
- where will the wifi from the BLiNK go, he has no wifi network there let alone power or a building. Just a parking lot.

He has given up based on teh reality check provided, not willing to spend money to get security.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:54 am

I think outdoor for -40°C to 70°C device like LtAP mini https://mikrotik.com/product/ltap_mini#fndtn-gallery

who
  • is small
  • Power consumption 5-10W/h
  • can be power in by DC 8-30V what give you option to power in DIRECTLY from LiFePO4 battery
  • can be power even from PowerBank per MicroUSB but this is often have 18650 li-ion inside who can be problem at low temp.
  • have slot for secondary ISP SIM if connection will be down at first one, or limit of GB will end.
you can always connect external antenna MIMO2x2 in future
FHD,HD have ~5Mbps, 4K ~20Mbps - all means UPLOUD and this should be tested. This should be possible even by LTE Cat.4, if it's only for 1 video stream then this is my recomentation for

Camera should change a quality of streaming when a bandwidth decreases instead of loose frames.

Alternative with external antenna build-in will be SXTR, is best for bad weather, power must be Passive PoE injector and new revision not work from 12V but start work from 13V... and some additional step-up DC must be mounted. It have 2 sim slots who can be used as failover. More, he have second port as PoE-out and he can power your camera and this way one power adapter can power both devices !.