Community discussions

MikroTik App

microtikgroup
Topic Author

hEX en ports all slaves but en1 & 2, how to send to freedom?

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:36 am

what's the hEX script to free ether3-5 from slavery to their freedom?
Salamat!

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hEX en ports all slaves but en1 & 2, how to send to freedom?

Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:11 am

Slavery was abolished a long time ago. Please take measured steps to modernise your equipment.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:20 am

According to the configuration export you've posted in your other topic, ether3 to ether5 are not members (slaves) of any bridge or bond. So what are you talking about? The routes in red? Connected routes via interfaces that are currently down because nothing is connected to them are made inactive (and thus shown in red in Winbox) indeed.

If you have in mind the hardware configuration of the device, what is your desired configuration?

microtikgroup
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:08 pm

Slavery was abolished a long time ago. Please take measured steps to modernise your equipment.
Its brand new! Just barely a month!

microtikgroup
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:14 pm

According to the configuration export you've posted in your other topic, ether3 to ether5 are not members (slaves) of any bridge or bond. So what are you talking about? The routes in red? Connected routes via interfaces that are currently down because nothing is connected to them are made inactive (and thus shown in red in Winbox) indeed.

If you have in mind the hardware configuration of the device, what is your desired configuration?
Not related to that topic coz each one of those ether port has its own network and the errors been fixed yesterday

My interest here was to find out how to make those slaves free of being slaves, like be a master or none. Apparently on my new hEX, on latest ver of fw, there are no options on the form to make any of en2 to 5 master or none, but maybe on the terminal

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:22 pm

Which ROS version is running on your hEX?

Post current configuration (as per signature by @sindy) so we can see what you're talking about.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:20 pm

"slave" ports used to be a way to configure "hardware accelerated bridging" (actually, switching by the switch chip) before RouterOS 6.41, which rolled out five years ago. There, you configured one ethernet interface as "master", and in default configuration, "master" was part of its name; for all interfaces, there was a "master interface" item; if it was set to the name of the master interface, it indicated that this port is in the same port-based VLAN as the master port, and that frames among ports in the same port-based VLAN can be forwarded by the switch chip.

Since ROS 6.41, the fact that some interfaces belong to the same port-based VLAN and traffic among them may be switched is expressed in another way; if you upgrade from pre-6.41, the names of the interfaces are not changed during conversion of the configuration to the new format, so the "ether2-master" name remains, but that's all.

So I wonder what slaves are you talking about when the device is "brand new". I.e. post the export of the configuration so that we knew what we are talking about.

microtikgroup
Topic Author

Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:27 pm

"slave" ports used to be a way to configure "hardware accelerated bridging" (actually, switching by the switch chip) before RouterOS 6.41, which rolled out five years ago. There, you configured one ethernet interface as "master", and in default configuration, "master" was part of its name; for all interfaces, there was a "master interface" item; if it was set to the name of the master interface, it indicated that this port is in the same port-based VLAN as the master port, and that frames among ports in the same port-based VLAN can be forwarded by the switch chip.

Since ROS 6.41, the fact that some interfaces belong to the same port-based VLAN and traffic among them may be switched is expressed in another way; if you upgrade from pre-6.41, the names of the interfaces are not changed during conversion of the configuration to the new format, so the "ether2-master" name remains, but that's all.

So I wonder what slaves are you talking about when the device is "brand new". I.e. post the export of the configuration so that we knew what we are talking about.
again, sindy. the topic i posted here was not in anyway related to the prev topic.
the only reason i posted this was my frustration few weeks ago when i just bought this hEX about this master/slave relationships that ea time i tried to config ports 3-5 at that time, i get a red error that says something like "cant config it as a dhcp server since it is a slave" also having it assigned to a bridge. anyway, i read the manual last and i know there was a fix on the latest ver of os using a bridge. i already upgraded the os a few days ago. and the prev topic of mine was all those en ports 2-5 are independent LANs with its own network. All the red errors there been fixed 2days ago as soon as I plugged all the cables at the lab.
please, no biggie here. its just me being new into this box.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:24 pm

So why don't you follow suggestion by @sindy and post configuration? We can have a look at what's configured and what not. Without seeing actual configuration of your hEX we can only guess endlessly.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:49 pm

please, no biggie here. its just me being new into this box.
In up-to-date RouterOS, an Ethernet port can be "enslaved" to a bridge or to a bonding interface.
To remove it from a bridge, which is the case for ether2..ether5 in default configuration, remove or disable the corresponding row in /interface bridge port.
To remove it from a bond, remove it from the slaves list.
Is this the answer you were looking for?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hEX en ports all slaves but en1 & 2, how to send to freedom?  [SOLVED]

Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:12 pm

Reading #8
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=178366#p878949
is like he solved, but do not have signed the topic as solved???