Community discussions

MikroTik App

ladegro
just joined
Topic Author

CCR1036-8G-2S+ flaky stability with flashing LEDs

Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:13 am

After three years of fine operation, our CCR1036 suddenly is giving very unreliable performance. It seems to drop out / get into reboot loop or won't boot at all.
All of the LEDs, also for ports not used, are blinking irregularly and the machine isn't reachable. After a short cool-down and power-cut, the machine sometimes get back on its feet but then just stays online for a few minutes to sometimes a few hours.

I've read about issues with this series and its power stability, but honestly wasn't expecting this on this price-range. Should easily run for 5+ years eh?
The router has always been rack-mounted and had always been actively cooled.

What can be done about this? Do I need to send it back to Interprojekt? As the location is remote for me, I can't easily test stuff by for example logging into console but will do if needed.

Example of what's happening (middle unit): https://arc.int32.nl/index.php/s/kLP4PLakd43i6Sx

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: CCR1036-8G-2S+ flaky stability with flashing LEDs

Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:22 pm

We've had to change 3 capacitors in the power supplies of both of our CCR1036-12G-4S units. The 2 year old device failed in service (crash/boot looping, with odd LED indications). The 4 year old device was still OK but the capacitors were not in the best of health once removed and measured.
According to my colleague who actually did the work, apparently they were unbranded components, so they've been replaced with Rubycon 110 degree equivalents.
I suspect this might be the cause of your problems.

ladegro
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:17 pm

Thanks, I suspect it will be indeed. Question now is if it qualifies to be repaired under warranty or if we'd be doing this ourselves.
Going to order the capacitors up front anyway. Can you remember what capacity they had?

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:17 pm

I don't know. There's no guarantee your PSUs are the same as ours anyway, as the router's a slightly different model.

ladegro
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:02 am

We've replaced the two capacitors with these, quite bigger, ones: Panasonic 1000μF Electrolytic Capacitor 35V dc.
The router starts up splendidly again. Nice fix for 3 bucks.