Community discussions

MikroTik App

Dyna
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik 5g modem + antenna recommendations

Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:09 pm

Hi, I'm looking for hardware recommendations for a project I'm working on. I usually use ubnt or cisco, but I've read some good reviews on Mikrotik products and would like to test them out.

The construction company I work with bought these data stations for bigger projects and I'd like to get them a somewhat stable internet connection as they work in many remote areas of the country. There will be one workstation with possibly one poe camera.

I was thinking of LHGG LTE6. What are your recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik 5g modem + antenna recommendations

Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:03 pm

The LHGG LTE6 looks great to me CPU-wise. It may not perform as great as you expect in your particular deployment, depending what actually means "remote areas" and "the country" in your case.

The following is nothing Mikrotik specific, it's pure physics - in general, lower frequencies have longer reach, so mobile operators prefer to use them to cover areas with lower subscriber densities, because this allows them to use less base stations to cover the same area - of course, providing a lower total bandwidth per unit of area as a consequence. And the gain of a parabolic antenna is proportional to its diameter, but also to the signal frequency. So the 17 dBi value on the product page is valid for the frequency bands around 2 GHz, but for the frequency bands around 800 MHz, it varies between +5 dBi and -6 dBi - see the diagrams in the brochure.
Also, the LTE6 modem can aggregate multiple carrier frequencies, but there may not be more than one channel available in the area, let alone in the same direction.

So before choosing any equipment, I'd recommend to investigate the real coverage on the sites, using a decently equipped mobile phone with some application like Network Cell Info (Lite).

You may find out that it makes more sense to use a device with just antenna connectors, and obtain Yagi or similar antennas optimized for the frequency band actually used in your country for this type of "countryside coverage".

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik 5g modem + antenna recommendations

Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:42 pm

Currently we try do on some project the quwireless.com antennas with M11G with Quctel 5G m.2 modules. This is in one box because quwireless have space for modem equipment. This is DIY version until MikroTik not release they new 5G series
Check this about antennas: KB: LTE by SiB -> 3. Antennas