MikroTik App

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Is my hAPac^2 dead?

Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:00 pm

Hi,
I've 2 hAPac2 routers, but recently one stopped functioning, so I switched to the spare device, installed the backup etc. and it works fine.
Now I've got some time and would like to diagnose what happened to the first device. It is not accessible via IP(s), nor via MAC (via WinBox).
I did the "factory reset" by holding the knob pushed while powering-on (the lamp flashes), but the device is still not found in WinBox Neighbors detection function, also Connect after entering the MAC manually isn't working as well ("ERROR: could not connect to <MAC>"). Of course also tried (unseccessfully) the default device IP 192.168.88.1 at both the first 2 eth ports from a PC with IP 192.168.88.3 with subnetmask 255.255.255.0 .
What else can I do to fix this?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is my hAPac^2 dead?

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:16 pm

Try to Netinstall the device...

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:07 pm

Try to Netinstall the device...
Thx, downloaded this file for Linux: https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... 8.4.tar.gz
The description (I mean filename) implies that the .npk is within the archive, but it isn't, so I had to download also the file https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... 6.48.4.npk
Then from the PC with IP 192.168.88.3 (/24) which is connected to the Eth1 port of the hAP issued this command:
./netinstall -a 192.168.88.1 routeros-arm-6.48.4.npk
It says:
Using server IP: 192.168.88.3
Starting PXE server
Waiting for RouterBOARD...
but no connect happens, though the network cable ends are correctly plugged in and no other device is connected to both... :-(
Also held the reset button on the device while rebooting it, but it doesn't sync with the netinstall program... :-(
What else to try?

Btw, on that device the RouterOS 7 beta was installed.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:40 pm

I ve not used netinstall on a linux device so i can't tell if everything is correct or not...
You could try as well other versions of netinstall ...
Also held the reset button on the device while rebooting it
For how long ?

deadkat
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:15 am

The output from netinstall is correct for the linux version, now it just needs to see a device in etherboot. https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... -Etherboot

your PC and the device you wish to netinstall must be on the same layer 2 segment. less complexity is better for netinstall, try either connecting the hap ac2 directly to your pc or setup another MTik as a flat switch with no fast path/fast forward.

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:09 pm

I ve not used netinstall on a linux device so i can't tell if everything is correct or not...
You could try as well other versions of netinstall ...
Also held the reset button on the device while rebooting it
For how long ?
More than the default 20 seconds (and < 60s).
I think I had not changed the default settings under https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:R ... bootloader

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:17 pm

The output from netinstall is correct for the linux version, now it just needs to see a device in etherboot. https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... -Etherboot

your PC and the device you wish to netinstall must be on the same layer 2 segment. less complexity is better for netinstall, try either connecting the hap ac2 directly to your pc or setup another MTik as a flat switch with no fast path/fast forward.
The PC is directly connected to the hAP.
I tried all of my usual IP networks, incl. 192.168.88.x, but to no avail. For netinstall, putting the device into etherboot mode is not working.
The HW seems to be ok (pluging the cable to other eth ports switches-on the light of that port), but it seems to have no OS running.
So far I've unfortunately not been able to do a netinstall, maybe it's an issue of the beta softwares (OS, firmware) that was loaded on that device.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:29 pm

Netinstall downloads its own loader to RAM, so unless you've upgraded the bootloader from a running 7.x, you should still be able to netinstall unles there is a hardware problem.

Yesterday it took me more than 10 attempts before I could finally netinstall a hAP lite using netinstall 6.47.10 on Windows. The device was always detected properly but the status bar remained empty after pressing the [install] button.

Don't just count seconds, watch the behaviour of the USR LED. Ignore its state during the first 5 seconds after power up; then, it should flash for 5 seconds, then be steadily lit for another 5 seconds, and then go off (which is when you can release the reset button). If it doesn't work like this, something is wrong with the bootloader or hardware.

Don't forget there are two bootloaders - the standard one starts when you power up the router and only then press the reset button, the backup one starts if you press the reset button before applying power.

maigonis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:26 pm

If you have other MT device try to netinstall it, to check if you know how to properly do it. After that try that broken unit.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:36 pm

The device was always detected properly but the status bar remained empty after pressing the [install] button.
When i have to deal with issues like that i try different netinstall versions...
You don't even have to repeat the netinstall process, if the device is detected, if you close netinstall and open it again, the same or other versions, it will appear in the devices and you can then try to netinstall again......

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:48 am

I use easier way of checking if device go try bootp, I watch a wireshark and this help to do the job HowTo Netinstall by SiB

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:41 pm

I use easier way of checking if device go try bootp, I watch a wireshark and this help to do the job HowTo Netinstall by SiB
That makes it easier indeed...

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 pm

It didn't in my case 😡 I could always see the router to tftp the netinstall binary from the PC and then to keep sending the license code again and again, but somehow the request from the PC to erase the flash got misinterpreted, because the only thing it caused was that the router stopped sending the license key in its packets. And then, in one case, it went OK, although I don't remember doing anything differently.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:50 pm

It didn't in my case 😡 I could always see the router to tftp the netinstall binary from the PC and then to keep sending the license code again and again, but somehow the request from the PC to erase the flash got misinterpreted, because the only thing it caused was that the router stopped sending the license key in its packets. And then, in one case, it went OK, although I don't remember doing anything differently.
I see...
@sindy pressing the netinstall button without any progress on the bar has happened to me as well...
I don't know why, but trying instantly different netinstall versions was solving that problem ( without repeating the process )

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:25 pm

I had an issue with the previous laptop where exiting netinstall on the laptop and running it again while the router was still in netinstall mode was the only way to make the router show up in the list in the netinstall, but this case was different - the router did show up, but if I pressed install and "nothing happened", the license key went missing from the respective form field, and did not appear there once I've exited the netinstall application and started it again. Which is logical as the router stopped sending it due to the semi-successful installation attempt before. So I doubt using another version of netinstall would have changed anything in this particular case.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:48 pm

Actually repeating the same process with the same netinstall version made no difference.. so that was not the case...
In the case i described the router was showing fine in the list... pressing the install button made no progress...
I 've come to this situation just 2-3 times with the same laptop that i successfully netinstall other devices...

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:50 pm

Actually repeating the same process with the same netinstall version made no difference.. so that was not the case...
In the case i described the router was showing fine in the list... pressing the install button made no progress...
I 've come to this situation just 2-3 times with the same laptop that i successfully netinstall other devices...

Windows 10?

Have a check what network category is, public or private. If public, set to private (It might change back to private when you restart the device to be netinstalled, then do via a switch to keep setting)
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-NetConnectionProfile
Name             : Network 31
InterfaceAlias   : Ethernet
InterfaceIndex   : 11
NetworkCategory  : Private
IPv4Connectivity : Internet
IPv6Connectivity : NoTraffic
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 11 -NetworkCategory Private

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:56 pm

Windows 10?

Have a check what network category is, public or private. If public, set to private (It might change back to private when you restart the device to be netinstalled, then do via a switch to keep setting)
Yes...
But those 2-3 times that i faced this problem i did nothing special to work... it just work after repeating the process without changing nothing... Most times i would not even restart the device...
Nice to know though ...