Community discussions

MikroTik App

TengNding
Topic Author

Need help on rb750gr3 about maximum lan connection

Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:37 pm

Hi, i need help regarding my network. I have 10 wireless router connected to my rb750gr3. They are connected using dhcp via bridge through eth4, one of them is using pppoe with a 20Mbps queue. all my wireless routers are connected to my 24 port switch and my 24 port switch is connected to my rb750gr3. All the wireless routers has 20Mpbs download and upload bandwidth management. My ISP internet speed is 400Mbps.

The problem is the internet is getting laggy and sometimes online games are getting server connection error. When you browse a website, sometimes it wont load and nothing comes up, I need to refresh it for it to appear. Just like when I browse websites that has videos like for example youtube. The videos just keep loading and it needed to refresh the browser to play the videos. When I add another wireless router, the problem gets worse. But there are no problems when there are only few routers connected like 6 or below. I believe there's a packet drop happening? May I ask how many local area connections can this router handle? Or is it because there are some things I need to configure in the settings?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Need help on rb750gr3 about maximum lan connection

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:51 pm

How many users are served by humble RB750Gr3?

I'd first check two resources while you observe problems: CPU load (run CPU profiler to see load of individual CPU cores and which process uses most of it) and number of connections tracked (see output of /ip firewall connection tracking print).

Another thing: official test results indicate that realistic routing capacity of this device is around 400Mbps, but that's with average number of firewall rules (and possibly fasttrack enabled). Your description of use indicates that you may have higher than average number of firewall rules and, more importantly, fasttrack disabled (for queues to work). Queuing itself adds to the burden. Which all leads to conclusion that RB750Gr3 is quite underpowered for workload it's supposed to carry.

Regarding packet loss: with heavy queuing some (limited amount) of packet dropping will happen as this is the ultimate mechanism used to enforce queue limits. It happens more frequently for UDP traffic but TCP is not exempt from it.

TengNding
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:32 am

Hi Sir Mkx, this is my CPU Load and my firewall connections, please see attached picture. I tried to remove the pppoe server to check if the problem will be solved. Now i am just connected through DHCP via bridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TengNding
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:47 am

The end users served by my rb750gr3 is around 40-60 devices. most of them are mobile phones. Each wireless router has 4-6 devices connected. A while ago there are 10 wireless router connected and right now I removed 2 of them so there are only 8 wireless routers connected. On my interface, it is only reaching 10Mbps to 50Mbps, so I think my total internet bandwidth speed is not the issue. as you can see on the attached picture of the interface list. My bridge type is 44.7Mbps, most of the time it's around 10Mbps to 25Mbps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:09 pm

Could you send us the Config-Export (export hide-sensitive) of the Mikrotik Router ?
SO we can see Firewall, Mangel, Queues, etc.

TengNding
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:30 pm

Sorry sir, just new to mikrotik, how to get the Config-Export (export hide-sensitive) of the Mikrotik Router ?

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:39 pm

No Problem

Step 1: Connect to your Router via Winbox
Step 2: Start new Terminal
Step 3: enter following command in Terminal:
export hide-sensitive file=yourexport
Step 4: exit Terminal, but not winbox
Step 5: go to Files and find the file named "yourexport.rsc"
Step 6: right-Click the file and download to local computer
Step 7: Upload to Forum

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:40 pm

Click the [Terminal] button in Winbox or WebFig, a command line window will open. In that command line window, type export hide-sensitive file=some-name. Then download some-name.rsc, and if some public IPs exist in the file, obfuscate them before posting the file here (see my automatic signature below for a few more details).

You can either post it here as text, between [code] and [/code] tags, or as an attachment.

TengNding
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:44 pm

Thank you sirs, here below is the config file

# sep/18/2021 17:43:34 by RouterOS 6.46.8
# software id = 9SZJ-0LP4
#
# model = RB750Gr3
# serial number = CC220E7EFBE2
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1-LAN
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] comment=WAN name=ether1-WAN
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] arp=reply-only name=ether3-LAN
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] name=ether4-LAN
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot
/ip pool
add name=dhcp_pool0 ranges=172.16.10.2-172.16.10.254
add name=dhcp_pool1 ranges=10.0.0.2-10.0.0.254
add name=dhcp_pool2 ranges=10.0.0.2-10.0.0.254
add name=dhcp_pool3 ranges=192.168.100.2-192.168.100.254
add name=dhcp_pool4 ranges=192.168.100.2-192.168.100.254
add name=pppoe-client ranges=192.168.100.2-192.168.100.254
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp_pool4 disabled=no interface=bridge1-LAN lease-time=0s \
name=dhcp1
/queue simple
add max-limit=200M/200M name="PPPOE CONNECTION" target=192.168.100.0/24
/ppp profile
add dns-server=192.168.100.1,8.8.8.8 local-address=192.168.100.1 name=20MBPS \
parent-queue="PPPOE CONNECTION" rate-limit=20M/20M remote-address=\
pppoe-client
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1-LAN comment=defconf interface=ether1-WAN
add comment=defconf interface=ether2
add comment=defconf interface=ether3-LAN
add comment=defconf interface=ether5
add bridge=bridge1-LAN interface=ether4-LAN
/ip address
add address=192.168.50.2/24 interface=ether1-WAN network=192.168.50.0
add address=192.168.100.1/24 interface=bridge1-LAN network=192.168.100.0
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf disabled=no
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=10.0.0.0/24 gateway=10.0.0.1
add address=172.16.10.0/24 gateway=172.16.10.1
add address=192.168.100.0/24 gateway=192.168.100.1
/ip dns
set servers=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat out-interface=bridge1-LAN
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment=PPPoE src-address=192.168.100.0/24
/ip route
add check-gateway=ping distance=1 gateway=192.168.50.1
/ppp secret
add name=routeranthony profile=20MBPS service=pppoe
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Asia/Manila

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:54 pm

Why is your ether1-WAN bridged with your LAN ?
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1-LAN

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1-LAN comment=defconf interface=ether1-WAN
add comment=defconf interface=ether2
add comment=defconf interface=ether3-LAN
add comment=defconf interface=ether5
add bridge=bridge1-LAN interface=ether4-LAN

TengNding
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:31 pm

I Just followed some tutorials online sir, and it includes the bridge process in creating DHCP? I am not sure about this I am just following the steps online and I think I did it right after I established dchp lan. What I wanted to do is to make my eth1 my WAN where I will connect my ISP router and my eth4 to be my LAN where I will connect my switch. Please help me sir.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:34 pm

I'm afraid that following video tutorials focusing on a single aspect is not the best way for a beginner, even if they are made by knowledgeable authors, which too often is not the case.

So I'd suggest that you describe the target configuration in layman's terms so that we could offer you tailored changes of your setup.

Is the above requirement the only one? If so, what are the remains of pppoe related configuration there for?

TengNding
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:57 pm

This is the what my network topology looks like, please see attached picture. My target configuration is to establish a pppoe server and client with a 20Mbps bandwidth limitation on each pppoe client. But for the mean time, I wanted to test it out first if rb750rg3 router can handle 40-60 end devices. Using DHCP and one pppoe client, just like what I mentioned before on my recent configuration, the games are getting server connection error and internet connection is sometimes not responding and refresh is needed for the browser to load which I believe that there are packet drop happening. The CPU load is very low which is only at 3% to 10%. The only time it reaches 90% is when I do speedtest. I don't know where the problem is but it seems the CPU or RAM of rb750gr3 is fine.

I don't know if I correctly configured the rb750gr3 router. For now, I want to configure simple wan and lan. And check if there will be no problem. Please guide me.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:46 pm

NM.......

How in the heck are all those users going to use the SAME IP structure.
I know squat about assigning PPPOE clients from the router where one designs a ppoe servers etc.

Wouldnt it be easier to have 8 vlans (plus one management vlan) ?????

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:00 pm

I'm not that much concerned about IP address space[*] (each wireless router performs NAT by its own, main router again and ISP modem again), but what bothers me is potential congestion of wifi bands. Are those wireless routers all operating on 2.4GHz? How far from each other are they? Take your smart phone with wifi scanning app of your choice and check how signals overlap. If you can see two APs (even partially) overlapping with signal strength difference less tgan 40sB, then you're in trouble. Partially overlapping is even bigger problem than using same frequency, which usually means all APs should use one of following channels: 1,6,11 ... or, if high channels are allowed, 1,5,9,13. And only use 20MHz channels on 2.4GHz band, using wider channels doesn't increase speed, it increases amount of problems.

[*] yes anav, this is insane, but my guess is that currently it's not OP's biggest problem.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:06 pm

@OP: where do you enforce the 20Mbps limit: on wireless routers or on hEX? Anyways, the fact that hEX CPU liad resched 90% during speedtest indicates that it's underpowered for workload it has to deal with. My personal opinion is that router should not have load more than 50% long enough for me to notice that.

TengNding
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 pm

NM.......

How in the heck are all those users going to use the SAME IP structure.
I know squat about assigning PPPOE clients from the router where one designs a ppoe servers etc.

Wouldnt it be easier to have 8 vlans (plus one management vlan) ?????
Not familiar with vlan on mikrotik. Each wireless router will perform NAT using class B address while the rb750gr3 is using class C address.

I'm not that much concerned about IP address space[*] (each wireless router performs NAT by its own, main router again and ISP modem again), but what bothers me is potential congestion of wifi bands. Are those wireless routers all operating on 2.4GHz? How far from each other are they? Take your smart phone with wifi scanning app of your choice and check how signals overlap. If you can see two APs (even partially) overlapping with signal strength difference less tgan 40sB, then you're in trouble. Partially overlapping is even bigger problem than using same frequency, which usually means all APs should use one of following channels: 1,6,11 ... or, if high channels are allowed, 1,5,9,13. And only use 20MHz channels on 2.4GHz band, using wider channels doesn't increase speed, it increases amount of problems.

[*] yes anav, this is insane, but my guess is that currently it's not OP's biggest problem.
Yes they are all operating on 2.4Ghz, they are far from each other and no problem encountered on signal.

@OP: where do you enforce the 20Mbps limit: on wireless routers or on hEX? Anyways, the fact that hEX CPU liad resched 90% during speedtest indicates that it's underpowered for workload it has to deal with. My personal opinion is that router should not have load more than 50% long enough for me to notice that.
I enforce the 20Mbps limit on each wireless router or on the Class B addresses so that it wouldn't add burden on rb750gr3 and no bandwidth limit on the class C addresses. Yes sir, rb750gr3 CPU Load is very low, it doesn't reach 50% and most of the time it's at 1% - 9% only but the problem is still there. It only reaches above 90% when I test my total bandwidth via speedtest or download something through my computer which has no bandwidth limitation using class B address 192.168.100.10 which is connected also to the switch.

My problem, internet connection sometimes not responding and online games server connection error, happens when I connect to many wireless routers on the network using the class C addresses with each wireless router having 4-6 end user devices. The first 1-7 wireless routers is doing great, but when I connect 8-10 wireless routers, it gets bad and when I tried connecting more than 10 wireless routers, it gets worst. Upon monitoring at night, even when 10 or more wireless routers are connected, the problem is not occurring. It is probably because end user devices are not accessing the internet because they are sleeping.

I've been monitoring my network connectivity for a few days by pinging my router and wireless routers via command prompt on windows and ping reply is stable and no RTO encountered which means no problem on the connectivity of the devices. I noticed during daytime that sometimes the wireless routers internet led light indicator is turning orange from green which indicates no internet connection and will come back to green light after a few seconds. I also noticed that in daytime when there are many end user devices is accessing the internet and when the problem occurs, the ping command is not working for a few times at first and will work after trying 3-5 times. like for example I tried to ping 8.8.8.8 or www.youtube.com or www.facebook.com, is it dropping the ping request I've issuing on my computer? but it respond quickly at night, the first attempt of ping will work quickly maybe its because when most of the end users sleeping.

I don't know where the problem is. Is it because the rb750gr3 can't handle to much packet because of to much NAT even though CPU load is very low or my configured on the router is wrong? or Is it because of my modem router?

TengNding
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:55 pm

Has anyone here have tried using mikrotik router on a large network?

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:07 pm

What do you mean by large ?

We have between 500-700 Devices connected to our Mikrotik Network
IP-Phone, Computers, Printers, IOT-Devices, Wireless-Devices , Servers, multiple Gigabit-WAN's

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:23 pm

I would recommend to go step by step. First, remove the queues completely and re-enable the fasttracking rule in firewall, see the behaviour and CPU load. Next, disable the fasttracking rule, wait for some time (an hour or so) to let the fasttracked connections spontaneously die out, see the behaviour and CPU load. Next, use /queue tree (not queue simple) with parent queues set to the interfaces. And finally, change that back to queue simple. There should be a noticeable change at some step.

60 individual wireless clients do not mean a "large" network, unless each of these clients is a router with tens of hosts on its LAN side. What is more important is the power of the router as compared to the bandwidth to be handled. As @mkx has already pointed out, the hEX Gr3 can handle about 400 Mbit/s in total with queues and firewall, which means 200 Mbit/s per direction in case of symmetric traffic. So your 20Mbps/20Mbps for all clients in total, not per client, as your configuration suggests, should not be a problem. But there is a big difference whether the root parent of a queue is an interface or "global". Also, the clients may generate or induce much higher traffic rate, so although the resulting throughput will be 20/20 or less, the amount of incoming traffic the router has to actually handle may be much higher. And this is something the test results on the product page cannot take into account - they are made with slowly growing amount of traffic of specific properties until the router starts dropping packets.

So while the router is struggling, watch the interface traffic live, to see whether the Rx via WAN is roughly proportional to the Tx via LAN and vice versa.

TengNding
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:37 pm

Ok sir, Thank you so much. Let me try that one, I'll do it step by step.

TengNding
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:42 pm

What do you mean by large ?

We have between 500-700 Devices connected to our Mikrotik Network
IP-Phone, Computers, Printers, IOT-Devices, Wireless-Devices , Servers, multiple Gigabit-WAN's
I forgot to mention that my ISP internet plan is for residential/home only and not business plan or lease line. I believe the modem router that they have provided me is for residential or home only and not as powerful as business or corporate modem router. Do I also need to consider modem router of the ISP or it is ok if it is just residential modem router?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:15 pm

As the ISP gives you a 400 Mbit/s connection as you wrote in the OP, the modem/router they gave you should be capable to sustain that speed. The hEX is in a different position as you ask it not only to forward the traffic but also to do the bandwidth enforcement.

Also, you throttle the bandwidth to just 20/20 in total, not 20/20 per AP, so maybe this is the actual problem? What happens if you set the queue simple to 200M/200M?

JazzMaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:15 am

If it were me I would set your switches to static addresses IE: 192.168.100.3 and 192.168.100.4. I would also setup a static reservation up to 192.168.11.10 with a dynamic range of 192.168.100.12-192.
Then you might see how that works.
Just my low knowledge opinion.

JazzMaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:19 am

I agree with anav, Assign VLANS and do it correctly, then you just might have a working network.

TengNding
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:30 pm

As the ISP gives you a 400 Mbit/s connection as you wrote in the OP, the modem/router they gave you should be capable to sustain that speed. The hEX is in a different position as you ask it not only to forward the traffic but also to do the bandwidth enforcement.

Also, you throttle the bandwidth to just 20/20 in total, not 20/20 per AP, so maybe this is the actual problem? What happens if you set the queue simple to 200M/200M?
Hi Sir, I tried doing what you advised me to do to go step by step. I first restore my rb750gr3 to factory defaults and just configure basic WAN, LAN, DNS and NAT. Added fast track on DNS and no queue, bridge and pppoe configuration but the problem still persist. Server error on online games and web browsing are having problems just like before. At this moment, there are only 7 wireless routers connected to my rb750gr3 network and each wireless routers have 3-6 end users accessing the internet so there are, 21 - 42 end users devices connected and accessing the internet. Here is my config now.

# sep/20/2021 19:48:52 by RouterOS 6.46.8
# software id = 9SZJ-0LP4
#
# model = RB750Gr3
# serial number = CC220E7EFBE2
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] name=ether1-WAN
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] name=ether3-LAN
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip address
add address=192.168.50.2/24 interface=ether1-WAN network=192.168.50.0
add address=192.168.100.1/24 interface=ether3-LAN network=192.168.100.0
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf disabled=no
/ip dns
set servers=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
/ip firewall filter
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="FASTTRACK DNS TCP" \
dst-port=53 protocol=tcp
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="FASTTRACK DNS UDP" \
dst-port=53 protocol=udp
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat out-interface=ether1-WAN src-address-list=\
""
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=192.168.50.1
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Asia/Manila

Then I've tried to do some troubleshooting. I removed my computer's connection to the 16 port switch and connected it directly to the ISP modem router using 192.168.50.3 ip address. So now, my rb750gr3 and my computer are both connected to the ISP modem router using the same network with ip address 192.168.50.2 and 192.168.50.3. Tested the internet speed. Browsing and online games problem is still there. Web browsing still sometimes not responding and needed to refresh the browser for it to load while online games are getting server error connection. The ping reply to 8.8.8.8 is stable and no RTO.

Next I've tried to remove the rb750gr3 network connection. I removed the rj45 connection of the rb750gr3 from the ISP modem router so now it is just my computer that is connected directly to the ISP modem router. Tested the speed and everything is faster no problem encountered. Web browsing response was fast and loads automatically, online games doesn't experience server error connection and a lot times faster when logging in.

Why is it like that? is it because the modem router of ISP can't handle it?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:10 pm

What is the brand model of the modem router?
Do you have access to this device on its router side (to set port forwarding for example)
Can you get a public IP from the ISP device or a private IP only. (contact your ISP provider to find out).

What brand and model are your switches?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:25 pm

Why is it like that? is it because the modem router of ISP can't handle it?
Please make a third test, connecting only Mikrotik's WAN to the ISP's modem/router, and connecting only your PC to Mikrotik's LAN. If the results are the same like when you connect the PC alone to the ISP's modem/router, the limitation is at the ISP side (modem/router included).

TengNding
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 pm

What is the brand model of the modem router?
Do you have access to this device on its router side (to set port forwarding for example)
Can you get a public IP from the ISP device or a private IP only. (contact your ISP provider to find out).

What brand and model are your switches?
The brand is Converge ICT, device type EG8145V5. no port forwarding option on the router only port mapping and DMZ. I believe this is for hosting a server on lan and allow to be accessed from the internet. I only have private ip from the ISP. I only knew my public ip when I browse speedtest.net or whatismyip.com. My switches are TP link and not smart switches doesn't have configuration options.
Please make a third test, connecting only Mikrotik's WAN to the ISP's modem/router, and connecting only your PC to Mikrotik's LAN. If the results are the same like when you connect the PC alone to the ISP's modem/router, the limitation is at the ISP side (modem/router included).
Already did that. Please see the network topology i posted above.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:17 pm

Already did that. Please see the network topology i posted above.
I cannot see that on the drawing in your OP.

What I've understood from your post describing the tests was that you've tried to
  1. connect the test PC directly to the ISP router/modem alone, with the WAN of the 750 disconnected
  2. connect the test PC directly to the ISP router/modem together with the WAN of the 750, whilst the complete network of WiFi APs and clients associated to them was connected to the LAN of the 750
What I wanted you to do was to connect the PC instead of the complete network of WiFi etc., so that Mikrotik's WAN would be alone on the ISP's router/modem LAN, and the test PC would be alone on the Mikrotik's LAN. Or, in another words, create case 1 above but with the Mikrotik inserted between the test PC and the ISP modem instead of plain wire, with no influence of the tens of APs and their client.

Why I wanted you to do so is that you say that in case 2. above, the operation of the test PC is affected. It means that the volume of traffic arriving from Mikrotik's WAN, or requested from the internet by Mikrotik's WAN, must be saturating the upload or download bandwidth of your uplink. I wanted to make sure whether it is really a traffic from the clients (or ordered by the clients) or whether something went mad on your Mikrotik and it generates some traffic on its own.

Some ISPs are cheating - they provide the contractual bandwidth for TCP connections until they transfer the amount of data usually used by speedtests, and then start shaping them, because their own uplink is too weak to constantly provide the sum of the contractual bandwidths they've sold to customers. So the ultimate goal is to find out whether the bottleneck is the Mikrotik or the ISP, and whether the ISP uses different shaping policies for different classes of traffic. The fact that pings are golden whilst other traffic is heavily affected supports the feeling of cheating ISP.

TengNding
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:35 pm

@sindy, Oh I see. I tried that also. I removed the switches and only my rb750gr3 is connected to my ISP modem router and my computer is the only one connected to my ISP modem router. The result is good and no problem encountered. Browsing is fast same with online games. As per mentioned in my earlier tests, no issue experienced when there are only just a few wireless routers connected to my rb750gr3 router, it is also fast without problem. however when I tried connecting more, issue occurs. Though at night, Even though I connected many wireless routers to the 750 network with lots of end users who are probably sleeping and not accessing the internet, no problem is encountered and browsing the internet is fast with no problems on online games but when night is over and day time arrives and most of the end users are awake and accessed the internet at the same time, the problem will start.

TengNding
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Does this mean that the problem is not on my network? Is it congested on the modem router or server equipment on the ISP side?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:16 pm

Does this mean that the problem is not on my network? Is it congested on the modem router or server equipment on the ISP side?
The result of your test No.2 (where the traffic of the test PC did not pass through the Mikrotik but was nevertheless affected by the traffic passing through the Mikrotik) strongly suggests the congestion to be at the ISP side.

But as said, the "congestion" may be a consequence of intentional shaping rather than of technical problems of the modem or your uplink path.

TengNding
Topic Author

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:19 am

If that is the case, what should I do? Should I upgrade my ISP plan to business type?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:36 am

But as said, the "congestion" may be a consequence of intentional shaping ...

Either that or the modem (being residential type) might have problems with NATing large number of concurrent connections (ROS limits depend on device's RAM size). You could rule this out if you could (temporarily) replace ISP modem with some other model (preferably the one they supply with business subscription plan).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:10 pm

With two unmanaged switches, I would not know how to distribute to all the wireless routers unless every device was on the same LAN.
So my lack of knowledge would suggest you get managed switches as a starting point.

What Wireless Routers are you using as (im assuming are acting as Access Point / switches and not routers )

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:13 pm

If that is the case, what should I do? Should I upgrade my ISP plan to business type?
I personally would attempt to upgrade if they provided just a modem and you got a public IP address and more bandwidth would be nice (and not capped or shaped).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:57 pm

What Wireless Routers are you using as (im assuming are acting as Access Point / switches and not routers )

OP provided network schema in post #13 above ... a comment there indicates wireless gadgets are used in router mode. Their WAN sides are all in same network, knit together using dumb switches.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:00 pm

Okay, got it............... does reduce the possibilities or simplify depending upon perspective.

TengNding
Topic Author

Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:36 pm

With two unmanaged switches, I would not know how to distribute to all the wireless routers unless every device was on the same LAN.
So my lack of knowledge would suggest you get managed switches as a starting point.
Yes, all wireless routers are on the same LAN, they are on the mikrotik router lan which is 192.168.100.0/24 network with rb750gr3 as their gateway(192.168.100.1) and the wireless routers or access points WAN is 192.168.100.2-254 with rb750gr3 as their gateway(192.168.100.1). Each wireless router or access point's LAN is using class B ip add(172.16.0.x). Getting managed switch is part of my plan, I will add another ISP and integrate it on the network and replace the switches with managed type so I can put VLAN but for now I am starting with this low budget setup.
I am using low budget access point or wireless routers around $15 and $12 which are TP-link 840n and Tenda F3.

Thank you so much everyone for helping me out. I will contact my ISP and hope they help me solve my issue. I think I would first ask them to change the modem router they've provided me to a good one that can handle large number of concurrent connections. I'll also consult it with them if I need to upgrade my ISP plan. I appreciate everyone's help and thank you so much.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:34 pm

Your test 2 shows that the issue is between the PC and the internet - if the wireless APs had limitations on the number of NATed connections, their clients would have been affected but the test PC would not. So the service parameters and/or the modem/router are to be focused at. The APs can wait.