Community discussions

MikroTik App

frank333
Topic Author

Change macaddress to lte interface.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:03 pm

I want to change macaddress to lte interface.
I have a routerboard with a quectel em160 lte modem, the telephone operator to which I am subscribed provides me with a bad router and binds me to use that using the macaddress.
If I use another lte router the connection works for 10-15min and then falls.
I tried to use a smartphone changing the macaddress with the one of the operator router and it works great and the speeds are doubled.
Is there a command Ros to clone the macaddress as is done with ethernet interfaces?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Change macaddress to lte interface.

Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:53 pm

If we really talk about MAC address change, not an IMEI change, it might be possible to use the LTE in passthrough mode and change the MAC address on the Ethernet interface of the external router connected to the LTE one.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:30 pm

I want to change macaddress to lte interface.
ISP see IMEI of your UE (User Equipment), not mac.
ISP by proper IMEI (vendor) know if this is a phone/mifi/hotspot/lte-router etc. and allow or not to assign APN to proper PLAN. Some quectel units cannot be used in phone plan.

frank333
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:05 pm

If we really talk about MAC address change, not an IMEI change, it might be possible to use the LTE in passthrough mode and change the MAC address on the Ethernet interface of the external router connected to the LTE one.
the imei i can change it but, what i am interested in is the macaddress the command below does not work .
/interface lte set lte1 mac-address=xx:xx...

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:14 pm

What are the first three bytes of the current MAC address of the LTE interface? And how exactly do you set the MAC address of an LTE interface on the mobile?

frank333
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:45 pm

@sindy
the mac addres to clone starts with 90:FD:73... I changed the macaddress of the smartphone with the apk Mac Address Ghost .
I don't want to use the smartphone but a routerboard rb11g

so using passthrough all routerboard settings are excluded and it works as only lte extension for another router ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:30 pm

the mac addres to clone starts with 90:FD:73...
I wasn't asking what MAC address you wanted to set, I was asking what MAC address the Mikrotik was showing for the Quectel modem.

so using passthrough all routerboard settings are excluded and it works as only lte extension for another router ?
Not all LTE settings, just the IP address is assigned to the external router. You still configure the APN name etc. on the LTE router. If the LTE router has got just a single Ethernet interface, create an /interface vlan on it, and set that VLAN interface as the passthrough one on the /interface lte apn-profiles row, otherwise you'll lose management access to the LTE router. And the DHCP client at the external router must be attached to a corresponding VLAN interface too.

frank333
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:00 pm

• mac address quectel modem 5E:FB:9B..
  • I would probably start something very complex because: the lte router currently already passes data through a vlan on a switch, to a wan port of a second router .
    tnx for info.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:12 pm

If so, it should actually be simpler, as you'd just modify the existing setup slightly.

The reason why I'm asking what MAC address is being shown currently at the LTE interface is that I suspect it is the router's own one, not one of the LTE modem.

frank333
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:08 pm

for the mac address I have not found any reference if it is really a quectel ; ok then I will try tonight to do some tests and write here the problems

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:16 pm

If the first byte ends with anything else than 0,4,8, or c, it is a "locally administered address", which is the same in all Mikrotiks if their own R11e-LTE or R11-LTE6 modem is used; if it doesn't, try macvendors.com . It is enough to enter the first three bytes into their form.

LeoLand
just joined

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:14 am

I changed the macaddress of the smartphone with the apk Mac Address Ghost .
Does it require root to change the mac address?

frank333
Topic Author

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:34 pm

@sindy the mac address does not appear in any vendor list online, I noticed that turning off and on the router, the mac address changes.
I have not yet done the test with the passtrought because I read on another forum and from an example of sib that the provider does not have the macaddress to recognize the router model but only the imei.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:17 pm

I read on another forum and from an example of sib that the provider does not have the macaddress to recognize the router model but only the imei.
That's my understanding too, but the mobile world is in constant evolution and the MNOs come with new and new ideas how to get more money for the same service so I could not exclude yours has come with some innovative way.

But whilst change of MAC address is not forbidden whereas change of IMEI is criminalized in many countries, it would be surprising if the MNO took that way.

BTW, the "mac address ghost" app actually changes the MAC of the WiFi interface of the phone, preventing tracking you by the MAC in WiFi networks, and breaking the operation of the RouterOS "hotspot" functionality.

frank333
Topic Author

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:00 am

Does it require root to change the mac address?
yes

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:27 pm

sindy
BTW, the "mac address ghost" app actually changes the MAC of the WiFi interface of the phone, preventing tracking you by the MAC in WiFi networks, and breaking the operation of the RouterOS "hotspot" functionality.
This is in WiFi.. in LTE we not use mac-address in a "SiB messages" - yes, I know that my nick is the same like that LTE messages but I create my nick name before I go into LTE world.

But when I dig in topic then I found a https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/12 ... 30000p.pdf
6.3.2 EFTF procedures
If IPv4 is supported, the EFTF shall support acting as DHCPv4 server according to IETF RFC 2131 [6]. When acting as
DHCPv4 server, the EFTF shall handle each existing FTT-IMS as a different subnet.
If the EFTF has a network interface with a universally administered MAC address, the EFTF shall use a universally
administered MAC address of a network interface of the EFTF as the EFTF FTT-IMS MAC address. If the EFTF does
not have a network interface with a universally administered MAC address, the EFTF shall use a locally administered
MAC address where the least significant bit of the last octet is set to one as the EFTF FTT-IMS MAC address.
If IPv6 is supported, the EFTF shall support acting as router supporting the IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration
according to IETF RFC 4862 [11]. The EFTF shall create a link-local address according to IETF RFC 4291 [10] using
the EFTF FTT-IMS MAC address.
UE is our LTE device. Seams like some octets of mac address can be used to receive IP from ISP... maybe @MKX can say more, this is my guru :).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:24 pm

The most interesting part of this thread is the origin of....... if not LTE related then........
SiB - Stuck In Back ?
SiB - sibling
SiB - Stabbed in back?
SiB - Service integration bus?
SiB- Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics

&*& Found IT ****
SiB - Self Injurious Behaviour ( also known as trying to config an MT device !!! )

just killen time until mkx gets here. :-)

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:57 pm

The most interesting part of this thread is the origin of....... if not LTE related then........
What OT here... then

Horoscope Zodiac are answer, in Polish: Świnia i Baran
Świnia -> English: PIG from Chinese zodiac
i -> English: and
Baran -> Eng: Aries from zodiac

IRC not support Ś letter and then it's SiB, not ŚiB.
SiB in Polish means in English P&A ? :D

Bonus answer: Panda avatar because I work in Panda Security as presales & technician who install SCM/UTM... routers & security...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:12 pm

Ahh, I thought you were trying to escape Poland by walking across the border, hidden in a Halloween Costume.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:24 pm

But when I dig in topic then I found a https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/12 ... 30000p.pdf
6.3.2 EFTF procedures

EFTF procedures are only used in conjunction with IMS. Most oftenly used service of IMS is VoLTE - VoIP implementation which is native voice service on LTE networks (LTE is packet-only technoligy hence no traditional circuit-switched voice and video telephony). IMS can serve services over other IP networks as well, which means over (home) wifi. Which is where EFTF kick in. But generally it doesn't have much to do with (native) LTE.