Community discussions

MikroTik App

IMTheNachoMan
just joined
Topic Author

Licensing questions for home use

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:33 am

I was using pfSense before but my computer died. I got a UDM a few weeks ago and that was a mistake.

I am looking at the MikroTik devices but have some questions on the licensing.

I was reading the licensing information at https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... cense+keys but do not understand something.

Is there a limit to the # of client devices I can connect? I am not a WISP or a business. This is for home use but I do have a lot of IoT wireless devices.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Licensing questions for home use  [SOLVED]

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:12 pm

I wouldn't worry about it.
Do you plan to use more then a subnet worth with those IoT devices ?? Even then ...

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Licensing questions for home use

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Is there a limit to the # of client devices I can connect? I am not a WISP or a business. This is for home use but I do have a lot of IoT wireless devices.
Are you talking about just routing? The link you posted list the limitations to tunnels and hotspot logins. If your worry is more like "I have one WAN, and several thousands of clients will use it as default gateway", then no. There is no artificial limit, just the hardware one.

If You are talking about the things limited by license (basically tunnels and hotspot users), then that link is the answer.

IMTheNachoMan
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Licensing questions for home use

Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:01 pm

Now I get it. Thank you!