MikroTik App

rkrisi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Only 100Mbps full-duplex speed on 1Gbps port

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:26 pm

Dear Community!

I have wired my home and in some rooms the link is only 100Mbps full-duplex instead 1Gbps full-duplex.
On the both end of the link, there are Mikrotik devices (and confirmed that both can do 1Gbps speed).
One side: RB4011 Other side: hexS FTP Cat6 cable used in wall.

In other rooms where different type of (brand) FTP cable is used, the link normally works with 1Gbps so I assume that there is no problem with how I wired the cable into the wall plug and patch panel.
Auto-negotiation is used on these ports and 1Gbps is set, but when the link establishes, in Status only shows 10/100 speed for 'Advertising'.
Fixed speed with 1Gbps speed, the link can't estabilish (nothing can be seen).
I have tried this cable outside the wall (though it is much shorter) with a different socket (not that in-wall socket I have everywhere), that one worked perfectly with 1Gbps speed.

What can be the problem in this case? Can anyone help with further investigating this?

Thanks!

memelchenkov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Only 100Mbps full-duplex speed on 1Gbps port

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:35 pm

I have tried this cable outside the wall (though it is much shorter) with a different socket (not that in-wall socket I have everywhere), that one worked perfectly with 1Gbps speed.
That's the answer. You have a cable/socket hardware problem. Make sure your cable and socket are 1Gbps compatible and properly patched (is it a right English term for this action?)

rkrisi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:41 pm

That's the answer. You have a cable/socket hardware problem. Make sure your cable and socket are 1Gbps compatible and properly patched (is it a right English term for this action?)
From specs, everything is 1Gbps compatible. I just assume that the in-wall socket might not be hard enough to "patch" this cable.
Also what I can't understand that I only have problems with this cable (in multiple rooms), everything else is the same in other rooms (devices, in-wall sockets, etc... - only cable is different).
Also 100Mbps full duplex works without any problem (which also requires the 4 pairs right?) or transmission error (counters are all 0) on these problematic links.

So I will try to have a look at the sockets (I can't think of anything else).

memelchenkov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:47 pm

only cable is different
Then the problem is in the cable (or, at least, this cable is the most problematic item in all hardware). The cable is probably out of specification (fake), or was damaged during installation/operation (i.e. rats).

tongjinooi
just joined

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:43 pm

Get a cable tester and make sure all 8 strands are connected

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:24 pm

Also 100Mbps full duplex works without any problem (which also requires the 4 pairs right?)

Nope, 100BaseTx (including full-duplex) uses only 2 pairs.