Community discussions

MikroTik App

sleerf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

PCQ settings - thought I understood

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:09 pm

I've been preparing to move 150 households over to PCQ queues on our ccr 1009-7g-1c-1s+ , researching the heck out of it and I'm just about to pull the trigger. As I was combing through posts thinking... "got it, got it, got it" suddenly it became "don't got it"....

I have a gig dedicated fiber and it has extremely low latency. I've used that to get rural people gaming and streaming better than their friends in town with cable modems. Right now we have a 30M, 50M, and 75M package with QOS for gaming and streaming and preparing to roll out 100M service. So far the fiber hasn't broke above 440M. But some of these connections can pull almost 250M as we've gotten better at installing them. We're preparing to launch a new town and before we do we want to get the PCQ in place.

I get that the total queue size is just the total of the queus sizes of all the queues, but everything I read put the queue size at 50 or so. 100 appeared to be total use of packets without disgarding. (I plan to keep QOS and run it in the queues). But then I ran across a post where someone was using a 150. So I started looking for that, and found a few more similar but not many. I know this number is in Kb, but what now am confused about is what number I should put there. Nearly all the examples on review have bandwidth such as 512k, 3M, 10M. But my bottom package is 30M and soon to be 40M.

Does this number increase with bandwidth? If so, what is the scale? And with the characteristics of the router and the dedicated fiber connection, is there any reason to actually use a lower number and let some packets fall off? Since we're putting QOS on, the packets to get dropped would likely be browser traffic which would likely go un-noticed but it still wastes airtime retransmitting and seems to be a waste considering that the only bottleneck between the CO and the radio at the tower would be the queues themselves.

One final thing.... Looks like v7 will be out soon. Would I be better off waiting for CAKE or is that not well suited for this application?