Community discussions

MikroTik App

Plugpulled
just joined
Topic Author

PPPoE does not reconnect automatically. Have to restart router everytime.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi,
I have a RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN. New to RouterOS and networking in general. Everytime my PPPoE connection disconnects, when i turn off/on router and fails to connect or ISP's Switch takes a long time to restart in case of power outage how to automatically reconnect/redial to the ISP? Everytime i have to goto System -> Reboot if it fails, again i have to reboot and so on. Is there a way to automatically a reconnect?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPPoE does not reconnect automatically. Have to restart router everytime.

Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:29 pm

The PPPoE client normally does reconnect automatically. So something is wrong. You could use a script to disable and re-enable the PPPoE client interface if you lose connectivity, but it would be a workaround and normally it should not be necessary.

As a first step, post an anonymized export of your configuration (see the mini-howto in my automatic signature below). It will probably require sniffing during the outage, on the physical interface to which the PPPoE client is attached, to see what is going on and why the PPPoE session doesn't re-establish.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:46 pm

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:06 am

anav, you're like a dog who marks every tree it walks by, but instead of trees you're marking forum topics :) not really necessary as sindy kind of adviced/requested the same thing..

Plugpulled, regardless of the actual cause of the issue, which should be fixed anyway, you can get auto reboot using watchdog.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:System/Watchdog

First, find a stable IP address, e.g. the remote address from the PPPoE interface. Or 1.1.1.1. Make sure the IP is pingable from the device.

Then, set the IP as watchdog address. As soon as the IP is unreachable for the time specified (by default: 1 minute), the device will reboot. There is an extra 5 minute wait time before the first subsequent reboot to make sure the device is slowly rebooting as long as the network is unavailable.
/system watchdog set watch-address=1.1.1.1 ping-timeout=5m

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:48 pm

Sorry nescafe, if some one said to me anonymized, my eyes would glaze over. I like direct clear speech.
Many times it takes two or three or more times to ask for the export before th op actually produces it. A little reinforcement never hurt.
Not going to change my ways anytime soon. :-)