Community discussions

MikroTik App

IMTheNachoMan
just joined
Topic Author

Licensing question and hardware recommendations for a small home user.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:07 pm

I had a pfsense box but it broke. I got a UDM because I already had the Unifi switch and AP but that was a bad move. Unifi firewall logging is crap.

I am just a small home user. I don't have a big/complex network but I want some of the more advanced features like VLANs and a SPoG for all of my network devices. Since I can't get SPoG with pfSense I am thinking of going with Mikrotik.

Wanted to get thoughts from others here. Some things I am thinking or still unsure about:

Licensing
How many client devices can I actually have on my home network with the different license numbers? I am not running a WISP or a business. I just have a few hardwired devices and a slew of wireless devices. I read https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:L ... nse_Levels but I can't make sense of it because nothing on that list mentions # of active network clients. I saw "Hotspot active users" but I'm not going to be running any hotspot at my home -- just 3 SSIDs.

Hardware
I am a little overwhelmed with all of their hardware offerings and I'm not sure what to get. This is what I know I need:
  • Router in the basement
  • At least 7 switch ports for hardwired devices
  • A least 1 switch port for a ceiling mount AP on the top floor
  • A ceiling mount AP on the top floor
  • Optionally an AP in the basement for additional coverage -- I don't need it but it can't hurt
Mikrotik prices are so great so I don't mind paying for something more than I need so I am future-proof. I know for wireless I want the latest technology Mikrotik has (wifi 6 if possible). I have a gigabit fiber internet. I am not running any IDS/IDP right now but if any of their routers can handle 1 GB with IDS/IDP enabled then I might consider it as long as the price isn't too high.

Any advice is appreciated. TIA!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Licensing question and hardware recommendations for a small home user.

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:02 pm

RB5009 for the router.
ports 1,2 (reserved for current and future WAN connections)
ports, 3,4,5 to access points
ports 6,7 reserve
port spf+ to switch for wired units.
SFP port - spare

One switch for all wired devices - CSS610-8G-2S+IN
one SPF+ port to router
ports 1-7 for wired devices
port 8 spare
other spf+ port spare

UPS for the wan modem, router and switch.

Wifi:
TPLINK eap 660HD for Access points (if you dont want wifi 6, then get the TPlink eap245 for wave 5)
Some have good luck with the Audience from MT, but I wouldnt spend a penny on them until there is actually non-beta firmware for them and
there is at least 3-6 months of heavy happy usage by users of the device. Not an investment I am willing to make yet.

Note1: Be advised IDP etc type extra pay services are not part of the MT repertoire. They are not needed in a home scenario anyway and are always overpriced.
Note2: no restrictions on users ??

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:18 pm

I will 2nd @Anav’s suggestions … except keep the Unifi Switch and Unifi AP’s :)

As a home user I cannot envision you ever having to worry about licensing … the RB5009 can easily handle a mix of 100 clients … the mix would include AP’s, NAS’s, IoT’s, users, etc.
Last edited by mozerd on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:49 pm

I will 2nd @Anav’s suggestions … except keep the Unifi Switch and Unifi AP’s :)
My bad you already have a switch and one AP...........So mozerd is right in keeping those assets.