Community discussions

MikroTik App

microtikgroup
Topic Author

2 MT routers, but one having problems with internet

Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:41 pm

Hex & hap ac2
each has same config; dhcp server, client, nat, addresses, pool, network, bridges, routes all ok

hex has no problem out to internet
hap ac2 just will not connect at all!!!!

anybody had same experience and what did you do to get it fixed?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 2 MT routers, but one having problems with internet

Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:45 pm

are they connected to each other in some way and if so provide a network diagram.
if not and just two different instances of an internet connection.
post the the non-working one
/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:12 pm

Not enough info. Are you trying both routers on the same internet uplink or on different ones? If on the same one, are you sure that the ISP doesn't lock the connection to a particular MAC address/client ID?

On the hAP ac2, does the WAN interface come up at physical level? If yes, /system logging add topics=dhcp will cause the DHCP communication to be logged in detail, so you'll be able to see in the log whether the server responds and how.

microtikgroup
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:22 am

No, They are not connected at the same time. I am removing my hex for an ac2.

I just did a reset config on the ac2 and will do a config and test at a time.

Later

microtikgroup
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:09 am

Not enough info. Are you trying both routers on the same internet uplink or on different ones? If on the same one, are you sure that the ISP doesn't lock the connection to a particular MAC address/client ID?

On the hAP ac2, does the WAN interface come up at physical level? If yes, /system logging add topics=dhcp will cause the DHCP communication to be logged in detail, so you'll be able to see in the log whether the server responds and how.
After restarted clean, all went great. Cleaning up my config now. Thanks.

microtikgroup
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am

on the new ac2 setup, i put all ethers2-5 and wlans in one bridge called bridgeALL. Apparently, all my devices on ether2 like IoT, cctv, just waiting to login. Is there a command to keep them alive without having to login the mikrotik portal? can someone give me a hand to get this to work effortless for these devices?
thanks.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:28 am

Should we assume you are using the hotspot functionality of RouterOS? If so, do you really need the wired devices you named to share the same subnet/L2 segment with the wireless devices that you want to only get access to the internet after login? I mean, there are some home automation devices that also only connect via WiFi, so maybe connect these to one pair of wireless interfaces, with its own SSID and passphrase, that will be in the same bridge like the wired ports and not use the hotspot, and create a pair of virtual wireless interfaces with another SSID and passphrase (or without a passphrase), with its own bridge (or VLAN on the same bridge), IP subnet, and DHCP server, and only apply hotspot to this second wireless network?

microtikgroup
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:00 am

Should we assume you are using the hotspot functionality of RouterOS? If so, do you really need the wired devices you named to share the same subnet/L2 segment with the wireless devices that you want to only get access to the internet after login? I mean, there are some home automation devices that also only connect via WiFi, so maybe connect these to one pair of wireless interfaces, with its own SSID and passphrase, that will be in the same bridge like the wired ports and not use the hotspot, and create a pair of virtual wireless interfaces with another SSID and passphrase (or without a passphrase), with its own bridge (or VLAN on the same bridge), IP subnet, and DHCP server, and only apply hotspot to this second wireless network?
yeah, assumption is correct. the idea was to just bridge them all at once. but since my UAP APs are in the mikrotik ether2,3, where all my IoTs and cctvs are connected at. then, did not cross my mind after logging in the UAP AP, the mikrotik hotspot portal became a second login!!! my idea to make all authenticate first!

Yes, the idea to separate ethe2 was in my mind this morning before I reconfig the ac2 so my macos server and minis can be completely isolated. just the thought it would be easier to just bridge them all together.

i dont need any automation devices, just remove ether2 from the bridge will fix it. I was just thinking there has to be a way to make an address list for IoTs and make them all static will solve it!!

thanks.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:05 am

I was just thinking there has to be a way to make an address list for IoTs and make them all static will solve it!!
There is - https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... P_Bindings . But it is an additional management burden as compared to splitting the networks.

microtikgroup
Topic Author

Re: 2 MT routers, but one having problems with internet  [SOLVED]

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:44 am

I was just thinking there has to be a way to make an address list for IoTs and make them all static will solve it!!
There is - https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... P_Bindings . But it is an additional management burden as compared to splitting the networks.
YEAH! besides, IP binding wll not do any good coz its no diff than making dhcp static and its time consuming too!