Community discussions

MikroTik App

alex1020
just joined
Topic Author

Strange network problem

Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:06 pm

Hi All,
I have a RB3010UiAS Router with Latest Stable version of mikoritk (6.47.10) ...
With about 25 client connected locally to a switch (dlink) and switch is connected to the Mikrotik ...

Since a month ago ... a strange problem starts on the network ...

A server which is a Guest on a ESXI Server was randomly disconnecting from network .. 2-3 days a week usually after noon ..
even local network to the server was in unavailable (pinging inside the switch clients or even ESXI guests)

The only (temporary) solution was to rebooting the mikrotik ! or changing that ESXI guest MAC Addressing and regestring the new IP on the ARP list ...

Today I see the same problem on a normal client ...

I am unable to find the reason of the issue ...
nothing special is logged inside mikrotik ...
No IP conflict is detected ...

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Strange network problem

Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:07 pm

Both suggestions may be just cargo cult:
  • I've seen Mikrotik/ESXi interworking issues to be solved by disabling STP on Mikrotik's bridge (protocol-mode=none). Of course you can only disable STP if there are no potential loops in your topology.
  • I've seen setting all items under /interface detect-internet to none to resolve weird network issues.
In your case, there's also the Dlink switch, and you didn't state whether it is a managed one or a dumb one, and whether the ESXi host is connected to the 3011 directly via the Dlink.

What's the ESXi version? With older ones, I had issues similar to this one when using redundant links, totally unrelated to Mikrotik.