MUM Europe 2020

danielillu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Performance Question: PPPoE or Hotspot for Wireless Clients

Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:44 pm

Hi,

I'm running a WISP with wireless (802.11b) distribution based on bridged rb532 boards (4 with client dist and backbone conn, 2 with only distribution and 2 for only backbone) about and a concrete and not-very-well-supported-and-stable software for clients AAA, bandwidth throtling and so on.
Now, I'm planning a really big move to a fully-routed scenario, exclusively based on RouterOS and mentioned RB532 and a RouterOS L6 x86 computer for user-man, AAA and main router.

Most of my clients are permanent or nearly permanent connected, like an ADSL/Cable connection and a VoIP Client, but people can also buy air time using user/password and access through a captive portal.

I'm doing some lab-testings using a RB532+wifi as main router, hotspot and usermanager (in fact, everything I do is done on this RB532 for testing). I have another box to set it up as distribution node.

This was the intro to my particular scenario.

Now, I'm thinking about what to use for giving access to users (always through wifi 802.11):
- PPPoE (windows compatible, CPE compatible) for permament clients + Hotspot for casual users (captive portal). Hotspot on a "Virtual AP" interface.
- PPTP (windows compatible, only RouterOS CPE compatible) for permanent clients + Hotspot for casual users. Hotspot on "Virtual AP" interface.
- Only Hotspot for everyone. MAC Login for permanent connections + captive portal for casual. Same as current but with better software, management and BW Throtling.

PPTP+Hotspot is the worst one because there's a lack of PPTP support on about 70% of my CPEs.

I'm currently supporting about 30 clients on most populated nodes (one 2ghz-radio/node) and half of them are traffic intensive (p2p soft, you know).

What I've planned is to have each node be the hotspot (and PPP Server in case), doing client validation via RADIUS to main x86 server.

But, how Resource-hungry are Hotspot, PPPoE, or both? Which option is the better for this kind of needs?

Many thanks in advance!

danielillu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Performance Question: PPPoE or Hotspot for Wireless Clients

Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:10 pm

Can someone drop a light on this?

sokolov
just joined

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi,

I have same doubts, iam starting wisp in Skopje-Macedonia.i have couple locations with 10 people. i made wds bridge between Base station and CPE-s, and pc behind ap as usermanager and separate core router for 2+ internet connections. i will run PPPOE server on Usermanager PC. i plan to run about 500 conn on Sempron 2.0Ghz and 512Mb ram.

boardman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi,

I'm running a WISP with wireless (802.11b) distribution based on bridged rb532 boards (4 with client dist and backbone conn, 2 with only distribution and 2 for only backbone) about and a concrete and not-very-well-supported-and-stable software for clients AAA, bandwidth throtling and so on.
Now, I'm planning a really big move to a fully-routed scenario, exclusively based on RouterOS and mentioned RB532 and a RouterOS L6 x86 computer for user-man, AAA and main router.

Most of my clients are permanent or nearly permanent connected, like an ADSL/Cable connection and a VoIP Client, but people can also buy air time using user/password and access through a captive portal.

I'm doing some lab-testings using a RB532+wifi as main router, hotspot and usermanager (in fact, everything I do is done on this RB532 for testing). I have another box to set it up as distribution node.

This was the intro to my particular scenario.

Now, I'm thinking about what to use for giving access to users (always through wifi 802.11):
- PPPoE (windows compatible, CPE compatible) for permament clients + Hotspot for casual users (captive portal). Hotspot on a "Virtual AP" interface.
- PPTP (windows compatible, only RouterOS CPE compatible) for permanent clients + Hotspot for casual users. Hotspot on "Virtual AP" interface.
- Only Hotspot for everyone. MAC Login for permanent connections + captive portal for casual. Same as current but with better software, management and BW Throtling.

PPTP+Hotspot is the worst one because there's a lack of PPTP support on about 70% of my CPEs.

I'm currently supporting about 30 clients on most populated nodes (one 2ghz-radio/node) and half of them are traffic intensive (p2p soft, you know).

What I've planned is to have each node be the hotspot (and PPP Server in case), doing client validation via RADIUS to main x86 server.

But, how Resource-hungry are Hotspot, PPPoE, or both? Which option is the better for this kind of needs?

Many thanks in advance!

Nobody in almost half year? !!!! Hi danielillu what did you finally did?

Best

Jorge
Greetings from Mexico

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:55 pm

On a 532, you can support about 50-80 PPPoE connections. hotspot should work just fine as well, as we do this quite often.
Dennis Burgess, MCTCE, MTCNA, MCTCTE, MTCWE, MTCNIE, A+, N+, MCP, MTCSE Mikrotik Certified Consultant / Trainer
Need Mikrotik Support: http://www.linktechs.net -- Link Technologies, Inc.
-- Author of "Learn RouterOS: Second Edition"

danielillu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:46 pm

I left it using hotspot because of difference of opinions. I prefered a mixed solution Hotspot+PPPoE but my boss prefered only hotspot yes or yes, so there's still hotspot only.
In a few months I'll start my campaign again for new setups, taking advantage of new 333 boards, which I hope they support more PPPoE than 532 (50-80 PPPoE conns could reach our limit in some specific setups).

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:51 pm

We have a number of customers thats place the 532s or even 133s (yikes) in bridge mode, turn off everything, just let them be an access point, then purchase PoweRouters at the bottom of their towers. Bring each of their APs back in though either VLAN or individual cables, and run PPPoE on that unit. Seen well over 1000 PPPoE sessions as well as a number of hotspot sessions on one box without issues. Let it do your routing and such as it has the performance for it.

A number of companies that use Canopy do this same thing! Bring down the cables and term them into a PoweRouter bingo. Lots of power.
Dennis Burgess, MCTCE, MTCNA, MCTCTE, MTCWE, MTCNIE, A+, N+, MCP, MTCSE Mikrotik Certified Consultant / Trainer
Need Mikrotik Support: http://www.linktechs.net -- Link Technologies, Inc.
-- Author of "Learn RouterOS: Second Edition"

danielillu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am

I know that bridging part of the network and having all PPPoE in the same place is a possible option, but I don't rely on a computer in the comm-tower (long power outages are common, hot temps in a closed room, vandals, thieves...).
I prefer to descentralize network paying some performance for it and having some central points from where I get data lines and have user manager and load balancing.
I'm planning a really important expansion, 6 2.xGHz sectors (hexagonal tower, three sectors facing the town, three sectors facing a just growing area), and 2 or three 5Ghz links to backhaul. I'll plan a mixed solution here, similar to bridging everything to a hard point.