MikroTik App

danielillu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Indentify all connections generated by p2p software

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:40 am

Hi to every one.

I'm trying to load balance my wisp, sending all p2p traffic to a low bandwidth line and send all "interesting things" through a higher bandwidth one.

But I've found a big problem when doing some testing with emule as p2p client.

when emule is loaded, it stablish by default about 50 tcp connections and about 10 udp conn (in my settings), and about 5 minutes later, it has more than 100 tcp conn and 230 udp conns in conn track list.
Only 15 of the 300 connections are identified as P2P - edonkey.
 0   ;;; Mark P2P Conn
     chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=P2P passthrough=yes p2p=all-p2p 
So, about 5% of all p2p conn are identified.
WHat I need to do is to identify ALL of p2p connections, not only 5% of them, to put them in a queue to have them a bit under control and sent through a lowQ line.

emule, and many other p2p progrmas stablish not only 1,2,..N connections that are clearly identified and so many hundreds of data connections (tcp or udp) not identified as belonging to the identified p2p app.
So, there's a big problem, 5% of connections go through a pcq queue that priorize and shape the data, but 95% of connections and data transfers is not being marked and priorized correctly.

These connections are easily identified by a human inspection, but fails in automatic inspection.

How can these not detected connections/packets be identifed/mangled? tcp/udp Port is not a solution, many p2p fresh installs select random ports on initial configuration.

bushy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Indentify all connections generated by p2p software

Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:35 pm

Set your default route to the low bandwidth line , and pick off the traffic you want to send to the higher bandwidth line.
Then in between the high bandwidth modem and the ethernet of the MT box put something to filter out any "clever" p2p on port80 etc . Even if its encrypted it won;t matter much.

danielillu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Indentify all connections generated by p2p software

Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:23 am

Thanks bushy.
I'm trying to do that: mark everything interesting and send it through the HiBW line and let bulk traffic go through a LowBW line.

But not only p2p soft stablish many connections.
Any browser stablish some HTTP connections (marked with content=HTTP/1.1) but also many data connections not identified.

SIP devices also do that: stablish a semi-permanent connection with server:5060 (by default), intermitent connections with a STUN server (if needed) and when a call is stablished they create one or two connections more to server:random_port.

So I have problems marking all of those secondary connections.

Any idea?