Community discussions

MikroTik App

frogger885
just joined
Topic Author

Intermittent Connectivity Across Bridge

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:33 am

Hi guys,

I'm having connectivity issues from my devices on my switch to my router.

I'm running a pretty simple setup with a router that has a switch attached to it. I'm using the RB4011iGS+ with a CRS326-24G-S+ connected via the SFP port. I've plugged a few devices into both of them. Theres an AP running off an ethernet port on the RB4011 that's working great (not bridged) but I've previously ran a bridged AP to the RB4011 without issues.

However, I've used the quick setup for the switch to be bridged. I'm plugging a desktop into the switch. It seems like 30% of the time I'm getting "no internet" from windows (only happens at device boot). I had previously just been quickly unplugging the ethernet cord on my desktop and plugging it back in, then it'd magically start working again. I decided to go to System -> SwOS and switch the Address Acquisition mode to DHCP only instead of DHCP with fallback, with the thought that my switch may be assigning an address instead of my router. Seems to have made things worse. Now it's taking upwards of 2 minutes when I replug the ethernet cable and sometimes I'm stuck power cycling both the router and switch to get connectivity again.

I can see that there is a lease to my desktop in the DHCP leases tab on my router. I also tried setting the DNS on my desktop manually to see if that was the issue. I've read a few posts talking about setting the IP -> Firewall -> NAT rules but wasn't sure if that's a red herring.

Any suggestions on what might be the cause or would posting config logs be more straightforward?

frogger885
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Intermittent Connectivity Across Bridge  [SOLVED]

Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:23 am

Turns out I had a duplicate address assigned in my IP -> Address List on my switch. Since I had setup my switch on an ethernet cable originally, when I connected my SFP cable, I had forgot to delete the ethernet one. Removing it fixed the issue. Leaving this post in case anyone runs into the same problem.