MikroTik App

geebs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Squid reporting

Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:07 am

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully logged and graphed individual users on a Mikrotik PC based ?
It would be great to have a built in version.

The way I ended up doing it is by sending squid logs from the MT to a remote syslog syrver, then parsing those files with SARG, which generated the reports. but it was very ugly and not very reliable.
Does anyone have a better way ?

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Squid reporting

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:46 pm

I expect that the most flexible way to do is, by enabling transparent proxy and 'web-proxy,!debug' logs and sending them to remote syslog server or Dude server.
As MikroTik RouterOS is program for router, not separate syslog server, that's why local router log facility is not to advanced.

stuntshell
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:02 pm

Mikrotik sends out the logs in syslog format, SARG needs to read in squid log format, hence the ugly and unreliable result.
It would be wonderful if Mikrotik folks could change that!

geebs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:43 am

Mikrotik sends out the logs in syslog format, SARG needs to read in squid log format, hence the ugly and unreliable result.
It would be wonderful if Mikrotik folks could change that!
That would greatly help yes !

jorj

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:38 pm

Well, I was wandering a long time ago this.
Is creating a pcq queue tree, AND a simple queue ( with no limit) for each user a reliable way to graph each ip traffic ?

Meaning, exactly:
- does simple queue, if no speed/total_traffic limit is applied, interfere with pcq example from the manual, and wiki ?
- is this a reliable way of graphing each individual ip, having on x86 hardware a queue for each ip routed by the MT box ?

So, share bandwidth with pcq, and to see and graph each ip ( make them static, or dhcp - static ), make a simple queue with no limit at all, based on ip of customer. This should of course catch proxy traffic.
Am I correct ?

Sergejs ? Anybody ?

Thank you in advance.