Community discussions

MikroTik App

EnzoWT
just joined
Topic Author

Publish/share router identity to WAN

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:35 am

Hello experts,

we are using Mikrotik hac ap lite routers with RouterOS long-term version 6.48.6 in some machines which we manufacture.

The Mikrotik connects to the operator's network using DHCP as standard (receives IP from operators router / DHCP server).
There are three LAN clients connected to the Mikrotik of which only one needs to be accessible from the WAN (ftp, vnc, Modbus TCP, ...). Port forwardings are set and function properly.
I did set a router identity. A ping to the Mikrotik's IP from the WAN side is possible; the specified router identity can be seen in the Client list of the pre-aligned router firewall / router.

However, I cannot ping the router from the WAN side using its router identity. How can I achieve this?

Our goal is to achieve, that our operators / customers shall be able to VNC-access the control of the machine by only having to enter a hostname instead of first having them to figure out the IP address which the machine (the Mikrotik) received.
VNC access, ftp access etc. is perfectly possible from WAN side using the Mikrotiks WAN IP address, but as mentioned not using its router identity.

Hope, this is possible.
Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Enrico

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Publish/share router identity to WAN  [SOLVED]

Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:18 pm

The name-to-IP mapping is handled by the customers router, nothing to do with the Mikrotik.

Typically when a device is added to a LAN which will be accessed by various people you either set a static IP address, or create a static DHCP lease on the customers router to always assign the same IP to the new device. In both cases you can also create a static DNS entry for the name-to-IP mapping you wish, assuming the customers router supports this.

There are other mechanisms for automatic device/service discovery built on protcols such as SSDP, mDNS, LLNMR and WS-Discovery which are OK for single-LAN networks, but do not scale well or work with multiple networks. None of these are implemented by Mikrotik.

EnzoWT
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Publish/share router identity to WAN

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:54 pm

Thank you tdw for your eplanation!

Will have to check the DNS server settings of the testing environment. I quickly checked with another router (Fritzbox) and can confirm, that adressing using the router's identity (hostname) was and is possible.

Problem solved.