MikroTik App

Kiemtheng2050
just joined
Topic Author

How can I remote my device everywhere with Mikrotik Mobile app

Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:24 am

Hi Mikrotik Team

I would like to email you asking some questions below

1. how to remote control from everywhere into my Mikrotik Router Device at Home by using your MikroTik app, I just want to access my device to check if my internet is working stable or not (Internet data traffic).

2. I have see notification on MikroTik app which recommend me to update RouterOS from current version 6.43.4 to New version 6.49.2, so if i upgrade this RouterOS, do I need to reconfigure or change anything like internet port configure to access internet from ISP or not ?

Note: my current device model: RB951G-2HnD , RouterOS: 6.43.4

Please kindly help to give me advice about it.

Thank you!

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: How can I remote my device everywhere with Mikrotik Mobile app

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:13 pm

Answer to Question 1:
If your Mikrotik-Router has a direct connection to the Internet (no NAT),
It is possible to connect to your device from anywhere via the MikroTik app.

The default Config from Mikrotik , doesn`t allow this, because of Security concerns.
But if you modify the Firewall, you can allow management Access via the Internet.

This isn`t "Best-Practice" , due to the Fact that ANYONE can connect via the Internet, not just you.
Someone may gain access to your Router via brute-Force or unsecure Login-credentials.
That`s why most Admin recommend to use a VPN.

Answer to Question 2:
During an Update, the configuration stays unchanged.
But in some rare cases , the update Fails , that is why mikrotik recommends before an upgrade:
1) Remember to make backup/export files before an upgrade and save them on another storage device;
2) Make sure the device will not lose power during upgrade process;
3) Device has enough free storage space for all RouterOS packages to be downloaded.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How can I remote my device everywhere with Mikrotik Mobile app  [SOLVED]

Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:46 pm

1. Update your firmware asap to 6.49.2 stable.
2. Consider after doing this then moving to 7.1.1 if you complete step1 successfully.
The reason is that 7.1.1 has several new functionalities that will let you do some of the things you desire but SAFELY.

You could install zerotier on the router and on our iphone and then quickly determine if the router is visible and available (uses a third party service and is not so easy).
You could install wireguard on your iphone and connect to wireguard on the router. (easy)
This would entail turning the wg connection ON, on the phone, and then using your MT APP over the wireguard connection. Works great.

Kiemtheng2050
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:21 am

Hi ConnyMercier, could you share me how to configure VPN in Mikrotik device ?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:26 am

Hi ConnyMercier, could you share me how to configure VPN in Mikrotik device ?
What type of VPN ?

I think @anav's advice is good.
However between steps 1 and 2 i would add * Device Backup, it is always good to keep a backup when upgrading.
ROS v7 will indeed give you some really great functionalities like wireguard and zerotier.
I 've not tested Wireguard app on mobile, does it work good @anav ?