Community discussions

MikroTik App

waterval
just joined
Topic Author

PPPoE client, wired transparent bridge not working

Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:42 am

I am trying to configure a RB2011 to add an extra physical DMZ to an internet facing linux based server.
A DrayTek 130 as modem in MPoA mode connects it to the DSL line.
The server runs a PPPoE client (rp-pppoe)
I need the public IP address to be assigned to a (linux) network interface (now ppp0).
I want to offload the PPPoE part to the RB2011, and make the public IP address available on a physical interface (eth0).

First I setup and test the transparent bridge, placing the RB2011 between the server and modem.
I would like to refer to "https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... figuration" paragraph "Bridge and reserved MAC addresses" as it has an important quote:

Consider the following scenario, you want to transparently bridge two network segments together, either those are tunnel interfaces like EoIP, Wireless interfaces, Ethernet interface, or any other kind of interfaces that can be added to a bridge. Such a setup allows you to seamlessly connect two devices together like there was only a physical cable between them, this is sometimes called a transparent bridge from DeviceA to DeviceB.

And apply the example:
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1 protocol-mode=none
/interface bridge port
add interface=ether2 bridge=bridge1 [wiring to server]
add interface=sfp1 bridge=bridge1 [wiring to modem]
(I am using sfp1 as I actually wanted a RB4011 because it has a dedicated data channel separate from eth1-eth5. The device is currently out of stock and will replace the RB2011 when available).

This bridges the (raw) traffic between the server and modem and works like a charm!
Next I disable the PPPoE client in the server, and setup the client in the RB2011.
This works too and presents the public IP address that needs to be set for eth0.

The final step is to -- as described in the quote above -- replace sfp1 on the bridge with the PPPoE endpoint so that transparently bridges it to the eth0 of the server.
Using the GUI, I disable sfp1 port from the bridge.
I want to attach the connected PPP endpoint as port to the bridge, which according to the quote shoud be possible.
Strangely, the endpoint is not available in the interface drop-down.
I create an interface list consisting of the PPP endpoint.
I add the interface list as port to the bridge.

Lots of traffic on both ends only none is bridged.
I disabled all the negative firewall rules in case that might be blocking something, situation persists.

For verification I added an address to the bridge, making it a traditional IP-based router, that worked, but the configuration is unusable as then I need to assign a private IP address to eth0.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?
Thanks in advance.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPPoE client, wired transparent bridge not working  [SOLVED]

Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:03 pm

The PPPoE client is an IP interface, not an ethernet interface, so you cannot add it to a layer 2 bridge.

waterval
just joined
Topic Author

Re: PPPoE client, wired transparent bridge not working

Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:18 pm

That explains a lot. Thank you.