Community discussions

MikroTik App

alex998r
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Howto: multiple users sharing the same bandwidth

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:52 pm

Hello please I am thinking how to have multiple users sharing the same bandwidth.
I have a RB133C that is the client, connected to a bridged network (802.11/x), the focal point of the network is the Hotspot service running ROS on a dedicated AMD based PC ( DHCP-SERVER too ), athentications are made with Radius server ( freeradius ).
I have a customer that has several employees and for security reasons each has a username and password to enter our network.
We sold a 640Kbit connection that should be shared between all these clients.
We configured RB133c as DHCP-CLIENT, thus we have one IP address, and all the internal clients, on the other ethernet interface, are masqueraded.
To achieve this goal is my intention to do this:
1) make the client address STATIC on DHCP server
2) create a simple queue with 640k limit with the address of the client
3) bypass that address on the hotspot
At this point all clients are free to surf the network, not good!!!
The only way to prevent this is to activate the Hotspot service on client RB133c and to have all the usernames locally defined.... No good, we have a centralized radius server... At this point I have no other ideas, please someone can help me?
Sorry for the description, it should be better, but if someone wants more details or configurations, I will paste on this page.
Best regards
Alessandro

sariao
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Howto: multiple users sharing the same bandwidth

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:06 pm

I am not sure why you had to use new hardware for your new client? beacuse it sounds it can be done with your exsisting system. what ever if you wanted to allwo your users to authanticate to your central HOTSPOT just use your new hardware as bridge so you can control these users aswell.

i am not sure if got your senario here, try to make a digram and post it here.

Regards.

alex998r
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:56 pm

I am not sure why you had to use new hardware for your new client? beacuse it sounds it can be done with your exsisting system. what ever if you wanted to allwo your users to authanticate to your central HOTSPOT just use your new hardware as bridge so you can control these users aswell.

i am not sure if got your senario here, try to make a digram and post it here.

Regards.
Hi, first of all many thanks for your kind reply.
the answer to your question is simple: if I authenticate each user on my centralized HOTSPOT service, for each user will be created a new queue, each new queue has its own bandwidth, if you, for example, multiply the number of users with the associated bandwidth, te result is MORE than the bandwidth we sold ( remember 640kbit).
Teoretically we need a simple queue, with 640kbit configured, with many users sharing the same queue.
Hope I was more clear, if you want I will try to draw a diagram and paste here.
Regards
Alessandro

sariao
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:27 pm

yeh this is what i thought. but still it can be done without any additional hardware.
what ever once you already bought new hardware it is easier to use it.

so what you have to do is to use your new router133c as transparent bridge and apply queue on it.
you dont have to enable anything else on that new device nether DHCP-Client or Hotspot. so all traffic will pass thru this hardware transparently, and the users behind it will be able to to authenticate to your central Hotspot so it does not matter even if you set each user account to have 640Kb. because the total traffic from all these three users will be queued thru the new device so total traffic will never exceed 640Kb.

let me know if you need any help setting up bridge interface or you can refer to wiki:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Transpare ... o_Networks
or to the manual:
http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2. ... bridge.php

wish that was clear to you.

alex998r
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Thanks, yes now is clear.
I will try and let you know.